sjfin is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Help me decide (Nautalis, Recaro, Simpson, other)

I'm looking to get a new seat for my daughter. She's going on 4, only 30 lbs, and about 38 inches tall. She's currently in a Britax Wizard. My 6 month old has grown out of his infant carseat (BabyTrend). He's 25 1/2 inches long & 17 lbs. So he outgrew the height limit of the infant seat. I plan to move my son into the Wizard (rear facing, of course) and I want to get something newer for my daugher.
    I've looked and narrowed it down to the following:
    Graco Nautilus
    Recaro Young Sport Convertible
    Simpson Child car safety Seat

I've only seen the Graco Nautilus in person at Baby Depot. I asked at Babies R Us about it and the 'baby gear' employee checked it out online with me but didn't know much about it. He said they don't have it and doesn't know if they would be getting it in. I checked out the Britax Regent but it would be too big in my car. I have an 02 VW Golf (Small hatchback).

My husband (race fan) directed me to the Recaro & Simpson seats after I'd decided on the Graco. Is the Simpson made by Graco?

My main hesitation about the Nautilus is the new-ness of it. I like the idea that I can keep her in a 5 point for up to 65 lbs.
    Any suggestions? Are there other seats I should consider?
    Thanks in advance,
    Sharon

shburks is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a Recaro Young Sport and really like the seat. It's not a Britax, but nothing is!! With your dd's weight/height, I'd think that would be a pretty safe seat. It is very comfortable with great head wings. It sits lower in the seat (which was odd to us at first) but I'm sure it's due to its booster capabilities.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Nautilus or the Young Sport. The Simpson seat is made by Graco, just a Cargo with a fancy cover. OK as a harnessed seat, but not a great booster. The other two would be better.

Since she is only 30 lbs, either seat should last her until she is old enough for a booster (ager 5-6). I think the Nautilus is slightly taller, but I'm not sure. If you can't see the Young Sport in person, you can order through Target and then return to the store if you don't like it. That way you aren't out return shipping.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

sjfin is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Smile thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.