Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Advice Needed pt.2 - Canadian MA or Radian

Thanks to the responses I got earlier in the week I started seriously looking for car seats and am back to the same 2 seats - MA or Radian. To recap, DS2 is in a MA (which he adores) and DD is too heavy for the Safeseat (not weight limit, but my physical strength, LOL). I can keep the SS in the car and use it like a regular seat, and that is what I plan to do for the next little while. In the meantime, I was planning to stalk car seat sales and find the best combo of seats. I had never dreamed of moving DS2 from his cherished Cowmoo MA, BUT... I went to check on the expiry date and was surprised to learn I have nearly 5 years left on it!! I completely forgot (PG brain) that Britax sent me a brand new replacement seat. So, where does that leave me?

Option 1) I can pass down the MA to DD and it will last until she is 5.75. Does that actually make sense? I would then buy a new seat for DS2 (probably a RN on the recs of the people here). I would then give the RN to DD in 5 years. It would be her last seat until she was boostered, I am guessing. DS2 is just about 3, so the RN would last until DD needed it and he would be ready for a booster (although given his size, he will likely outgrow the harnessed seats here before he is 6).

Option 2) I can use our travel Scenera for DD (it expires in 4 years). She will then get the MA and use it until 5.75. In the meantime, DS2 will be in his MA until he outgrows it and I will reevaluate his needs based on the car seats available at the time.

What do you think? Am I missing something? We have no high weight harnessed seats here for the time being, so as much as I would love to buy a Regent/Nautilus for DS2, I can't. Is it crazy to think they might be available soon?

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Did you see my post from yesterday in the Canada forum?

I think for the EXISTING seats here in Canada, the RN is your best choice. BUT, based on my telephone conversation with my unnamed (very reliable and definitely in the know) source, I would wait as long as possible. S/he told me the Britax Frontier is definitely coming to Canada, as is the Nautilus. Neither will harness past 65lbs (snort). No specific date, but could be 2m could be 6m....

Given that, I'd use your SS1, then the Scenara for as long as possible.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How did I miss that?? That would be awesome! Now I can sit back and wait since I am not in a rush - woohoo! I guess there is a reason this place is called Baby "Bargains", LOL.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014