Default Need car seat alternative

Hi,
    I will be traveling to Europe in 2 months with my 1.5 yo DD. We won't be renting a car and basically relying on public transportation and taxis. We'll be in a big city with a lot of traffic, where you really need to be quick getting on and off a taxi. Carrying around a bulky car seat and installing it is out of question.
    When we went over there earlier when she was an infant, I had the infant car seat and would just secure it with the back seat belt. It is not that simple with the large car seat.
    I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe something that attaches to my own seat belt when I carry her on my lap. Or some really simple/lightweight harness that I can easily attach to the seat belt. I appreciate any ideas.

Also, we have long flight (10+ hrs). Any ideas on how to entertain a 1.5 yo during the flight?

Thanks a lot.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I doubt she'd be big enough for the SafeRider vest.

Maybe she would still fit in a Graco SafeSeat1? Its an infant bucket, but goes up to 30lbs.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Cosco Tote 'n Go? AKA Eddie Bauer Portable Carseat:

http://www.albeebaby.com/eddie-bauer...-22915byt.html
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Yeah, this is one of those rare moments where an Eddie Bauer Portable is a decent idea...just get it early enough to learn to use it properly and fit the harness to the weight of clothing she'll be wearing. It's wobbly and hard to use, but it's small and definitely better than nothing (actually has great crash test numbers). Anything you'd use with her on your lap would make her an airbag for you, so they aren't invented (and are bad on airplanes, too). A CARES harness might be a tad big, but would help support her for sleeping on the plane (it's ONLY for the plane).
    Post it notes and sugar free lollipops are my favorite airplane entertainment (11 hours from VA to HI every summer... man, I can't wait till Leah can play video games like the bigger kids )
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks for all the replies.
    She is only 22 pounds, so the SafeRider vest does not work for us. I'll probably have to go with the Eddie Bauer portable one. I've checked some of the product reviews, and nobody seems to like it. But due to lack of a better alternative, it's worth a try. I agree that buying it a bit earlier is a good idea, just to get some practice on correct installation.
    Last time I used the airline provided infant belt during the plane ride. I was planning on doing the same this time around. Are they safe enough in the event of a turbulance? Should I also invest in a separate harness. (she'll be going in lap)
    Thanks.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Those infant belts that go through your seatbelt and then around the child aren't safe - BUT many non-USA based airlines insist on using them for lap baby. Eg. Qantas does if you have a lap baby. You've got not choice. It's their plane and they follow laws set by their home country not the USA's FAA. Not the best harness, but nothing you can do to not use them, except buy her a seat.

You'll only be able to us a separate harness for her if she's got her own seat and if the airline allows it.

Please double check - but I thought the Cares harness was only OKed for airlines based in the USA and for domestic flights. We weren't allowed to use it for take off/landing with American on flight to Mexico - but it was newly released, I argued with the flight attendant and they said it hadn't been approved by their airline despite having FAA approval for domestic flights. Because it was an international fight, I let it go, but as soon as those wheels were off the ground, I strapped DS in.

If you're airline is not USA based eg Virgin, Air Paris - they have their own child restraint laws and may not allow the Cares harness at all, or just not for take off/landing. It'll depend on the airline or maybe even the particular flight attendant. I know that Virgin has their own child restraints for kids up to 2 year old - I think it's 2 yo. I saw one on a flight - a mini version of the plane seat that strapped in with the seat belt, 5 pt harness. One family wanted to take it out so their daughter could sleep, and the staff refused, telling the family this was the safest way for her,and to recline the seat a little for her - I was impressed.

HTH.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-28-2008 at 07:10 PM.