Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you keep & wash CD's

Thinking of trying CDing again.

1-What kind of pail to use & what do I put in it to soak the CDs till I'm ready to wash.

2-Do you dump the whole pail in the washer or just the diapers?

3-Do you wash the covers too?

4-If I bought 6 prefolds/2 covers & some doublers would that give me a good test run? I don't want to fork out $$$ if I am going to not like it. I don't think I'll CD at night yet. Not ready for any leaks, but daytime is my concern now.

TIA!

1-What kind of pail to use & what do I put in it to soak the CDs till I'm ready to wash.

Every CDer I know dry pail their diapers. I personally use a $10 plastic kitchen garbage can I bought at Target. You need a liner for it, to start you can just use tall kitchen garbage bags later you can get a reusable/washable liner. You don't put any water into the pail instead you do a presoak/wash cycle on cold without detergent then do a regular wash on hot with about 1/3 the normal amount of detergent and two rinses (there are long posts about washing diapers but that's a quick how to). Also dump big poopies (solid food poops) into the toilet at each change.

N/A because you use a dry pail so there isn't any water to dump.

The general rule on most covers is was about every 4th or 5th time if they don't get poopies on them, letting them dry between by switching to a new cover with each change. Then you wash and dry them with the diapers (this is different with wool covers but like I said before quick how to).

4-If I bought 6 prefolds/2 covers & some doublers would that give me a good test run? I don't want to fork out $$$ if I am going to not like it. I don't think I'll CD at night yet. Not ready for any leaks, but daytime is my concern now.

I don't know how old DC is but I don't think that is enough for a single day's worth of changes. Keep in mind that prefolds can do soooo much more than just cover dirty bottoms. My parents keep asking when DS will potty train because they want some of my prefolds for dust rags and washing the car etc. I would buy atleast 24 prefolds. Ther are great to keep a couple in your diaper bag to cover a dirty changing table or use as a spit rag etc. About 4 or 5 covers should last you a few days the numbers you are talking about won't get you through a single day I don't think. For cheap doublers go to Target or Walmart and get the microfiber towels they have in the auto dept. You fold them in thirds and you have an awesome doubler, put it under the cotton diaper though. (baby, prefold, doubler, cover) Also read the diapering 101 thread it will go into much more detail on all these and other topics.

HTH So glad you're going to try cloth diapers.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Every CDer I know dry pail their diapers. I personally use a $10 plastic kitchen garbage can I bought at Target. You need a liner for it, to start you can just use tall kitchen garbage bags later you can get a reusable/washable liner. You don't put any water into the pail instead you do a presoak/wash cycle on cold without detergent then do a regular wash on hot with about 1/3 the normal amount of detergent and two rinses (there are long posts about washing diapers but that's a quick how to). Also dump big poopies (solid food poops) into the toilet at each change.

N/A because you use a dry pail so there isn't any water to dump.

The general rule on most covers is was about every 4th or 5th time if they don't get poopies on them, letting them dry between by switching to a new cover with each change. Then you wash and dry them with the diapers (this is different with wool covers but like I said before quick how to).

I don't know how old DC is but I don't think that is enough for a single day's worth of changes. Keep in mind that prefolds can do soooo much more than just cover dirty bottoms. My parents keep asking when DS will potty train because they want some of my prefolds for dust rags and washing the car etc. I would buy atleast 24 prefolds. Ther are great to keep a couple in your diaper bag to cover a dirty changing table or use as a spit rag etc. About 4 or 5 covers should last you a few days the numbers you are talking about won't get you through a single day I don't think. For cheap doublers go to Target or Walmart and get the microfiber towels they have in the auto dept. You fold them in thirds and you have an awesome doubler, put it under the cotton diaper though. (baby, prefold, doubler, cover) Also read the diapering 101 thread it will go into much more detail on all these and other topics.

HTH So glad you're going to try cloth diapers.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Thanks! DD is 9 mo & I was given Dydee for her 1 st 3 months. Unfortunately w/ my C section issues & her Reflux issues, I just couldn't deal with CD's.

FFwd to her eating more & more real food & pooping 2 & 3 times a day. I go through diapees like crazy. Sometimes I put a fresh one on, only to have her drop a couple nuggets & waste a diaper!

On the pail: do the diapers not dry out w/ pee/poo on them & reek? I guess I'd have to wash each day. Also, DD has MSPI & her poo's can be real icky, what if I can't get all the poo into the pot? I don't want the pail to stink DH out of the house!

OK another question: I've read a bunch of different types of soap to use, what can I use that I can buy at a store? Sorry too many q's!!!

Have you heard of these bamboo CD's that USA baby sells? I'd like to buy something I can see/feel/size IRL. I would have a hard time buying online.
    Last edited by Nooknookmom; 03-01-2008 at 12:17 AM.

We also dry pail. We had a Diaper Dekor already, so we use that with a PUL reusable pail liner. I know people use the Diaper Champ as well for cloth diapers. If we were starting out again I would have just gotten a pail from Target like the PP mentioned.

Yeah, no water to dump, but I just pull the bag out of the pail and dump the whole thing into the washer (diapers and wipes).

Yep. PUL and fleece covers can be washed with the diapers. We rarely used PUL covers with DD, but I washed them whenever they got poo on them, or when they smelled like pee. Otherwise, I usually just let them air out and dry and then reused.

You could just get that many, if you wanted to try cloth part time, and still use disposables part time. It would be much cheaper than buying a full stash right off the bat. We started out with 5 Fuzzibunz, which I used for a month before buying more cloth diapers (DH didn't believe I would stick with it), and when I had used all the cloth and it was time to wash, I'd switch back to sposies until the diapers were clean and dry. If you end up liking regular prefolds, there are lots of co-ops online where you can buy them a lot cheaper than any retail store/site. I just bought a bunch of infant prefolds in a co-op for $9/dozen, plus actual shipping to me. We mostly use fitteds with covers, but like the PP said, prefolds come in handy for so many things!

On the pail: do the diapers not dry out w/ pee/poo on them & reek? I guess I'd have to wash each day. Also, DD has MSPI & her poo's can be real icky, what if I can't get all the poo into the pot? I don't want the pail to stink DH out of the house!
    I washed every other day before DD potty trained. Now she just wears dipes at night so I wash every 4 or 5 days. I didn't really notice the pail ever being stinky, except for the brief moment when you open it to throw another one in. But hey, disposables stink just as much when the pail is open! I cannot stand the smell of wet/stinky disposables now that I'm so used to cloth. Blech. The chemicals make it so smelly. If it does end up being a problem, you can get a diaper sprayer (Minishower is one brand, there are quite a few out there on CD sites) to spray the poop off, into the toilet. We have one and I LOVE it. Otherwise, you could try rice paper liners, which are flushable, you just lay in the diaper and then if it's poopy, dump the whole liner into the toilet and flush. You could also get some fleece liners (it's very easy to make your own - and cheap!) and the poop tends to peel off fleece much easier than prefolds.

OK another question: I've read a bunch of different types of soap to use, what can I use that I can buy at a store? Sorry too many q's!!!

We use Tide. I am really sensitive to laundry detergents, most of them irritate my eczema. Tide doesn't, and it works well for a lot of people for cloth diapers, including us, so we use it for everything.

Sorry, I haven't heard of the bamboo CDs that USA Baby sells. Bamboo in general is a very popular and soft diaper material though!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Thanks so much.

Between the fitted's & prefolds which do you prefer for ease of use & keeping the contents inside? What brand fitteds do you use? Can they be used at night or do you have to add a doubler?

The prefolds I used w/ Dydee were SO bulky by the time I put the pf in the cover on & DDs clothes, she looked like a Gourd.

Tide is what we already use so that is good news!

I really appreciate all the help.

I would try a couple of both prefolds (like I said ther are so many things you can do with prefold besides diapering a baby) and fitted and see what works best with your baby. Every baby is different and one product might be the best for one child and another the best for that child. I also suggest you order a couple pocket diapers (my favorites). Even though they are more expensive you will still be money ahead by the time you potty train. I've been happy with bumGenious, Happy Heiny and Fuzzi Bunz but bought mostly bG this time because they are truly one size diapers (I didn't need any more but wanted pink ones ) I would also look into sample packs from teh different diapreing sites, they can be very helpful.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

I think Sarah and Allison have already answered most of your questions, but I'll throw in my .02 too!

I use prefolds and covers. I had a service for the first 6 months, so that's what I was used to. I have this pail and use this liner in it. I have two liners so that I can have one in the pail while I'm washing the other one with the dipes. I really like these liners because they have a hemp patch sewn into the seam that you can put a few drops of tea tree or lavender oil on. The TTO really helps with any stink issues. I rarely rarely smell the diaper pail, and the TTO helps cover up the smell when I'm opening it to put a diaper in. I only wash diapers once or twice a week (DS goes through usually 4-5 diapers/day).

I have pretty much the same stash now as I did when I started doing my own CDs over a year ago. I did have to size up some of the covers, but we're still using the same prefolds. I have two dozen premium prefolds, and 5 or 6 covers. I have 6 or so hemp doublers and another 6 or so fuzzibunz doublers that I use for overnight or when I know I might need to stretch the time between changes. I switch covers each change but only wash when they start to stink or get poo on them. As far as poo. I use these liners. When DS poos, the liner and poo peel right off the prefold into the toilet. If he's just wet, I toss the whole thing in the diaper pail. The liners can be washed usually 4 or 5 times before they start to disintegrate.

My wash routine is pretty simple. I have a HE front loader, so it would be a little different with a top loader, but I use plain old Tide HE. I do a rinse/spin first without detergent. Then I run the Whitest Whites cycle (hot wash/cold rinse) with a prewash and extra rinse/spin. I use a quarter capful of Tide, and I add a quarter capful of Calgon to the Tide. I added the Calgon when I started having some stink issues, and it cleared it right up. I also add a little vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser when it's static season (never use fabric softener on your dipes, btw).

I've used primarily prefolds, but I did try a couple of kissaluvs and also a Motherease one-size. I liked them ok, but I didn't like that to unsnap them, I had to touch the wet icky diaper, so I prefer the prefold that I can just grab the cover and dump the dipe in the pail without having to touch ick. It's a little hit/miss figuring out which covers fit your babe the best. DS is a skinny little thing with skinny little thighs. We had Proraps with the service and they were ok, although a little loose around the thighs. I liked Bumpys when he was your DD's age. Now we use Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and Blueberry covers. The SWWs didn't fit him very well when he was younger, although he was within the size range. They were too big around the thighs. Now that he's older, the same size fits him perfectly.

I would also recommend getting a wet bag or two for your diaper bag. I like the WAHMies bags. They're cute! You can just use a ziploc baggie, too.

ETA: I forgot to add that the prefolds are definitely a little bulky, but for DS that's a GOOD thing. His pants don't stay up unless he's in cloth! Usually by the time the pants are getting too tight to get up over the diaper, they're turning into highwaters on him anyway.

HTH! I know it's intimidating to get started, but once you do, it's really a piece of cake! BTW, the site that I linked to is Nicki's Diapers. I've been really happy with her service. Her prices seem to be in line with most online retailers, she ships fast, and most things have free shipping.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

Well, DH by far prefers fitteds, since they snap on rather than needing to be pinned or snappi'd. I like both - I think that fitteds do a really great job always of keeping everything "in", though once you figure out a fold that works well for your baby, prefolds can be very bulletproof as well. I like switching between them - there's something so sweet and simple and cute about a prefold, but fitteds are easy peasy. My favorite fitted for DD was Bijou Baby Gear (www.bijoubabygear.com) they fit her perfectly. I never tried any non-WAHM made fitteds, so I'm not too familiar with what's out there for mass produced. I've heard good things about Thirsties Fab fitteds, and I've heard mostly bad things about Kissaluvs (lots of people like them for newborns, I don't know anyone who likes them after they move up to size 1).

I used one fitted at night sometimes - Krunchy Kids - but she hasn't stocked in a really loooooong time. Usually I use Fuzzibunz pockets at night, and occasionally I use prefolds at night, with wool over the top. DD is a much lighter wetter at night now, but when she still nursed all night long, I would add doublers and a fleece liner to the prefold. It was bulky!

I've heard a lot of people say they love prefolds because they are so trim. It puzzles me a bit, since they haven't been particularly trim on DD. Maybe when you are getting near the top of the size it is trim (like, about ready to outgrow the size)? I'm sure it depends on the fold too. Bikini twist is not particularly trim!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I put my answers to your question in the quoted section:

Quote Originally Posted by Nooknookmom
    Thinking of trying CDing again.
    Hi! I hope you do try CDing again. I love it!
    I use a dry pail with a Wahmies pail liner. I use flushable liners so when there is poop you just flush it away. Then I spray the poopy dipes w/Bac Out, and toss in the pail.

I put the pail liner and the diapers in the wash.

I usually put the cover in the pail too if it was pooped in because otherwise it smells. If the covers are just peed in, I rotate them to let them air out.

How many dipes you go through depends on how old your baby is - the newborns poop and pee a lot, so you go through at least a dozen dipes a day. When they are older the # will go down.

TIA!
    Jenna, owner - Laina's Laundry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast