Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Cloth diapering twins?

Is this a crazy concept? Will I be doing nothing but washing dirty diapers 24/7? I just feel so guilty because we use soooo many diapers. I'm sure that just these 2 babies are filling up an entire landfill! I have a bunch of cloth ones that I used with my first DC (not my second who has super sensitive skin), so it's not like I'd be starting from scratch.

Any thoughts? (I mean other than that I'm crazy)

edited to sound sorta sane.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't have twins, but I cloth diapered one of my girls. My theory was that even if I used cloth several days a week, it was better than not using them ever. I always tried to go for at least two days in a row so that I'd have a load at the end but even if I used them Monday and then again on Wednesday before washing the pail, it worked out okay.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you already have them, it wouldn't hurt to try. DH and IL's tried to talk me down from my recent urge to CD since we're flying though boxes of diapers in our house too. The one thing that finally got me off my campaign was the drought and Stage 3 water restrictions we're experiencing. I SO wanted to try out the BumGenius 3.0.

I say go for it! What's the worst that could happen? You decide it's too much work and go back to sposies full time?

They're old enough now that they're not in the super-newborn-12-diapers-a-day phase. Yeah, it'll be a lot of diapers, but I bet you could probably get away with washing every other day or so.

I so feel your pain on the filling up a landfill thing. I feel that way everytime we go on vacation and use sposies, and I only have a singleton!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I did it for my twins for about 4 months (7-11 months.) It was easier than trying to go out and buy diapers - I was always home, so I could always just do laundry! Unfortunately, I didn't have the $$ to spend on new diapers and the older ones I could find weren't fabulous. So we are going back to sposies!
    Sarah

DD1 5/05 Evenflo HBB
    DD2 4/07 FF Britax Roundabout
    DD3 4/07 FF Safety 1st Uptown
    DD4 6/10 RF Britax RA50

I was actually wondering the same thing. My twins will be my first so it will be more expensive at first, I'm guessing. My sister did it with her first and it worked great so I thought I would give it a try. It's nice to hear no one is saying it's completely crazy! Any suggestions on which are the best diapers and/or diaper covers? I have yet to check out some websites from the baby bargains book but wanted to get some other feedback.

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're planning to do it.

DS was cloth-only (excepting the original hospital stay) for at least his first 4 months. (He was cloth-only at home until we were only using 1/day at home, at which point it made no sense from a laundry point of view.) We did mostly prefolds, which are cheap and easy (especially after you get practice with a newborn!).

I'll need to ramp up our supply, but since we're not in a drought area at all at the moment, I can't imagine not trying!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

I like Angela's idea of occasional cloth diping. You'll save $$ on the sposies.

I'd drop the guilt about the landfill and do what you can.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

definatly go with Bum Genius one size pocket diapers. i use them on two babies and they are great. go on as easy as sposies and NEVER leak. they are adjustable from 8 - 35 lbs, so no need to buy more sizes. they wash and dry very quickly! they are an investment initially but we bought new just because the CS is wonderful and that way if they fall apart, we can have them replaced for free (jen is great!). we have 3 dozen for 2 babies full time in cloth and its plenty. i wash about 2 days a week (but always shake the poo in the toilet and keep them in the basement so no stink).

you can totally do it!! when we looked at the cost of sposies for 2, even with sales and generic sposies, we are saving a ton.

Default gdiapers

Has anyone tried gDiapers?

http://www.gdiapers.com/

We're expecting twins in a couple of months, and thought this would be a good compromise between cloth and disposable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast