Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Scooter for pre-schooler

We were at the park and DS asked an older boy (about 5) if he could ride on his scooter. I was surprised at how well DS did on it. His 1/2 birthday party (born in 12/25) is next week, and I thought we could get him one. We already have a helmet, so just need the scooter.
    Thanks.

Are you thinking of getting a two-wheeled scooter? or a three-wheel? The two-wheelers aren't safe for 5yo's even so wouldn't recommend it. DD has a 3 wheeler and loves it. She's been riding it since 3.25 or so.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

I didn't know there were even 2 wheels. I want what is safe. The one he used at the park was a razor, but he's not getting something like that until he's much much older. 3 wheels are fine by me. What brand do you have?

Ack. Don't know the brand. It was a hmd from my niece. I've seen them at Target though. Also kids' consignment stores. They run $9 used, 18-20 new.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

ETA. I read some old posts about some kids getting bored with a 3-wheeled scooter. DS is small for his age, but physically he's ahead of older kids. So, now I'm not sure what to get. Maybe a cheaper 3 wheeler and then replace in a year or so with a 2 wheeler?

I don't recall specifics but the two-wheelers aren't recommended before age 6 or even 8?

The 3 wheelers aren't expensive so I think your plan is a good one.
    --Moses Maimonides

We bought DS a two-wheeler for his 1/2 birthday, with the agreement that he would only ride it with full pads, helmet, and one of us with him.

He's also physically ahead, and would have nothing to do with a 3-wheeler. He's been playing on our next door neighbors' scooters for the last couple of years, so that's probably why....

So far, he's gotten more scrapes from running and tripping on the driveway (dang those crocs!) than he has on the scooter.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

My newly turned 6 yo rides a 2 wheeled scooter. And she's getting really fast on it!

We bought a 3 wheeled one originally, but she was constantly whacking the inside of her ankle on the nut that sticks out on the back wheel of that one and she was miserable on it. She'd wind up in tears every time we tried to go for a walk on it.

Sure, she crashes the 2 wheeler every so often, that's just part of being a kid.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We got DD a 3 wheel scooter for her bday in February, shes 4, she is already bored with it. Her older cousins have Razor scooters and she always rides them when we visit. She can actually ride it very well, despite the age requirements they put on them. I always make her wear a helmet. JMO, but I think 5 is old enough for a Razor.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Consider getting the Radio Flyer 3-wheeler...the two wheels are on the front, a single in the back, so it's really steady and doesn't get in the way of the scooting foot/ankle. Leah's had hers since this winter, it's so stable she can stand on it and I drag her around the house on it. The mom next door liked it so much she bought one for her 4 yo. My older dd is way over the weight limit but it rides smoothly with her on it.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast