Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wonder whether the Cuisinart is really no lead or they're just saying it, as Hamilton Beach. I have 2 Rival cookers and am not ready to change them unless something is truly confirmed as no lead.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that all the various brands of slow cookers/crockpots have some amount of lead in them. My assumption is that the companies who say "no lead" really mean that their lead levels are within the FDA guidelines. So even if a company says "no lead," my gut instinct is that there are still traces of lead.

On a side note--I've used the Cuisinart PSC-650 (the 6.5 qt progammable that is replacing the discontinued non digital CSC-650) only once so far to make corned beef. I was pleased with how the corned beef turned out after 8 hrs. on low. I haven't tested it out yet on high, but I plan to soon. I like it better than the more expensive All Clad Slow Cooker (tried it out once, but returned it due to a faulty glaze issue) b/c you can switch the cooking levels and increase and decrease the time while the cooker is on and cooking. With the All Clad Slow Cooker, you have to turn the whole cooker off and then reset to whatever cooking level or time you want. I'm sure a lot of the less expensive models also have these same features. I don't know why the All Clad doesn't have that flexibility. I also like the look of the Cuisinart. Plus, it has "wraparound heating" which not all slow cookers have. Wraparound heating supposedly provides for more even, consistent heating. The final test will be with cooking a whole chicken on high next week.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=640&f=27580

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=640&f=25861
    Last edited by MMMommy; 03-19-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy
    My guess (and it's just a guess) is that all the various brands of slow cookers/crockpots have some amount of lead in them. My assumption is that the companies who say "no lead" really mean that their lead levels are within the FDA guidelines. So even if a company says "no lead," my gut instinct is that there is still traces of lead.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking too. So then I have to decide if it's acceptable to still cook with a slow cooker with traces of lead. I'm probably OK with that risk..... probably..... I'm not totally sure. The slow cooker gets HOT and the food is in there a long time and it does creep me out a bit.

This weekend I just replaced all my dishes to Corelle because I was concerned about lead in my dishes. And I'm happy I did that.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KBecks
    That's exactly what I'm thinking too. So then I have to decide if it's acceptable to still cook with a slow cooker with traces of lead. I'm probably OK with that risk..... probably..... I'm not totally sure. The slow cooker gets HOT and the food is in there a long time and it does creep me out a bit.
    I'm the same, I like the idea of slow cooking some things, but I am worried about the lead. DS had a slightly high test result at 9 months, all other tests were a lot lower levels, but I'm still very worried.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy
    My guess (and it's just a guess) is that all the various brands of slow cookers/crockpots have some amount of lead in them. My assumption is that the companies who say "no lead" really mean that their lead levels are within the FDA guidelines. So even if a company says "no lead," my gut instinct is that there are still traces of lead.

ITA, that is exactly my thinking, especially after the HB CS rep read me an internal memo on the lead issue....

ETA: I think part of my thinking on this is that we don't use a slow cooker daily and, frankly, its the only way I can get DH to help out with cooking. I might feel differently if my kids had elevated lead levels. Then again, they've never been tested.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 03-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bumping this old thread......

I have been doing a lot of research and only found one that apparently does not have lead in it and that is the kitchen-aid model because it is coated with a glass glaze. But the reviews for the crock cracking are everywhere, so it seems kind of pointless.

Dr. Weil has a healthy kitchen slow cooker, but the reviews are few. You would think his cooker would NOT have lead in it, but I haven't been able to find any kind of contact for the company to ask them.

Has anyone found one that is lead-free - crock and glaze?

Default Hamilton Beach slow cookers and lead

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybaby
    According to the Hamilton Beach's website, there is no lead or cadmium in their crocks:

"Does the crock contain lead?
    No. There is no lead or cadmium in the crock."

See http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/faqs/slow-cookers.php
    I visited this page, and found that Hamilton Beach is no longer using the direct "no-lead" language they were when you posted this. They now hedge their bets:

Q Does the crock contain lead?

A Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2