Default Moms of 3.5 yo boys - it CAN be done!

I just want to offer my encouragement to all the moms of 3+ boys who are struggling with PTing. It can be done and my son is here to prove it! (I hope I am not jinxing myself or him by celebrating here!!!)

My son turned 3 in November, had absolutely no interest in PT, wore pull ups for about 2 months with no progress, and then -- last Saturday he declared he wanted to wear undies. So that was that and he's been in them since. He is still working on making poops in the potty, but hallelujeh, he's been using the potty for peeps since Saturday. He is even initiating it himself. I am not taking him all the time.

So, yes, it was like a switch flipped in his brain. He wanted to do it and he did. So your son can, too! I promise!!!

And thank you to all those who have given advice here. It helped me A LOT

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Congratulations on such wonderful success. I completely understand about the switch flipping and suddenly you have a potty trained child. What great success...enjoy every minute!

But... can I just re-iterate that difficulties in toileting are NOT a gender issue, but a personality issue! These potty training posts can be about either gender, yet we tend to keep stating that "boys are more difficult to train". Quite honestly, this is not necessarily the case and every child is different. What statements like these do are simply to make the parents of the more difficult to train girls feel aweful!

Let's celebrate everyone's success and support everyone the same, instead of limiting our talks to a specific gender!

Thank you so much!

PS I don't mean to hijack your post and you should be so excited and proud of your wonderful child!

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congrats! We are making progress also. I have pushed a little for the underwear because my son knows how to use the potty, so I've told him that he knows how and now he wears underwear during the day. He's gone along with it pretty well and seems to be liking the underwear most of the time. He now likes that his underwear has a hole.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

My dd didn't train until 3.5 so I understand your elation. Congrats on his accomplishment.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides