Default How to get 21 month DD to empty bladder

DD is 21 months old. Has been peeing and pottying for a while. About a month ago, she began telling us when she need to potty, so we went with it. Was going along really well with her PT for her age, but recently she seems to be having trouble emptying her entire bladder. That is causing after-potty accidents.

She'll sit on the potty, pee enough to cover the bottom of the potty and then she will want to celebrate and dump. Very occassional she will come back again and pee some more, but even then, about 10-15 minutes later the flood gates will open and she'll finish peeing in her diaper or cloth training pants.

I have tried reading to her to get her to sit longer, but that does not appear to be working. She'll sit, but not pee any more.

Any suggestions?

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

21 months seems really young for this. She may still be learning her body cues about when her bladder is full/empty. I would just keep encouragiong her to use the potty, celebrate her successes, and see how she's doing in a couple of months.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I agree...I don't think that PP could have said it any better!

We have been dealing with this same thing. DD is 3 years 2 months and she is just getting to the point of emptying her bladder well on the potty. She was doing great on the big toilet, but if we were out somewhere she would just soak her Pull-Up within an hour of going to the BR. She wanted to go back to the little potty, so I let her (still use toilets when we are out). It seems to be working. She is learning to relax more and I've noticed more pee in the little potty recently. I agree with PPs - just keep rewarding her, stay relaxed and she will learn. All kids do this on a different time schedule and even if they are ready, their bodies may not quite be there yet.