Thread: Wwyd

Default Wwyd

A friend of mine gave my Mom a graco snugride infant carrier w/ base and stroller to use "as a backup" when my baby is at Grandma's house. The carseat is still within DOM guidelines and has never been in a wreck. It looks really good - just needs the cover washed.

This would not be a primary carseat - just an extra for Grandma. I am getting a brand new safeseat for full-time use.

Am I being paranoid by feeling weird about putting him even OCCASSIONALLY into a used carseat??

I really think it comes down to how much you trust your friend's word that it has never been in a crash. Also, check the model/serial number to make sure there weren't any recalls on that particular seat. And have it installed by a CPS tech. I did all those things and was perfectly comfortable using a Graco snugride that had been my godson's as DD's primary seat. She outgrew it at 7 months and I was happy to put the extra money to a Britax BLVD.

I think the concern about used seats is buying them from CL or garage sales and such. The seller's main interest is unloading the seat - not your friendship or your child's safety. OF course they'll say it never was in an accident.

Hope this eases your mind.

Kerri

Yeah, I guess I just needed to hear someone else say that! I do trust my friend - and I already checked the recall list. Plus DB is a CPS tech . He's going to take a look at it as well. And who knows how many times DS will actually ride in it! Like I said it's an extra seat at grandma's!

You might find the Safeseat base so easy to install and uninstall that you can put it in Grandma's car those days and just keep dd in that seat (which will be set up to her size all the time since she rides in it daily). The Snugride isn't so easy to install, G'ma will want to put the base in and leave it there all the time if she does decide to use that seat. And either seat can safely be used baseless
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#