Default Paging CPS techs, which is safer?

DD was at the dr and she weighed in at 30 lbs in her diaper. She is only 16 months! I know I'll have to turn her FF sooner than I would like, but it irks me because I've been telling my friends about the benefits of extended RF, so I'd like it to last as long as possible.

DD currently is in a Britax BLVD, which is our only seat. My vehicle is a Grand Caravan with the captains chairs and it does NOT have any sort of side airbags. The lack of side airbags/curtain airbags was the reason I got the BLVD over the MA.

Should I get a cheap Scenera (sp?) which, I believe, RF to 35 pounds; or just stick with the BLVD, which goes to 33lbs and FF her at that point? I have no need for an extra seat, as we use DH's vehicle rarely with DD (a few times a year). Based on her growth rate, I think she'll be FF before she reaches 2, regardless of the seat. Or are there any other seats that have higher weight limits for RF?

TIA

Kerri
    DD 11/06

You might want to keep an eye out for a Radian with a 35 pound weight limit RF (that's a new feature)... it'll be kind of expensive compared to a Scenera, but...it's going to be useful for a LOT longer as a spare (it's taller than the Boulevard so you can move to it after the BV is too short or if she needs better leg support...also it's great to take on airplanes..installs easily and you can use the traytable unlike any other car seat). I'm not sure I'd get a Scenera for that last 2 pounds... it's kind of a lot of money for a seat that might last a couple months RF and then only a couple months longer FF (my dd's barely 2 and is already pushing the height limits...her shoulders will be over the top slots by three, I'm sure, if not younger). Forward facing in an SIP seat will mediate some of the danger of being FF (side impacts beings the worst risk). Do you have top tether anchors? That makes FF a lot safer (if you don't, they can be added by the dealer )
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Default Thanks Julie

I've learned so much from you. I really think the Radian is out of our budget as a 'spare' seat that we don't need. We don't fly to visit family, so the nifty air-travel features mean little to us.

But I was wondering, what are the height limits of the Radian vs the Blvd? DD is tall as well as heavy (33.5 inches). I'd like to keep her harnessed until she is at least 5. Do kiddos on the 95 percentile outgrow the BLVD height limits prior to the age of 5? IF it is likely she would grow too tall for the Blvd, I'd consider getting the Radian now, rather than waiting until DC#2 comes along.

Kerri

Here's a little cheaper... you only need the 65 http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...t&query=radian

It's about an inch taller than the Boulevard, it tends to last kids about a year longer (my dd outgrew the Marathon at 6, RN at 7, for example...she's a shrimp...)...yeah, if you think she'll stay tall (are you and/or dh tall? good crystal ball there!), then she may outgrow the BV sooner than 5. It's also good for 7 years before it expires .

I feel like some kind of Radian salesman :P. Compass/First Years True Fit or Evenflo Triumph Advance are also great, just a lot bulkier and not cheaper than that dmart price on the Radian... (I wish the Scenera had like an inch taller top slots and a 50 lb ff limit!)
    Julie

Just a question. When I clicked on the link and read the info on the Radian 65 (granite) it said rf was 5-33 pounds. Is the 35 pound limit on the 85, does dmart have the wrong info, or do you think that these are older seats and thats why they are a bit cheaper?

Kerri

arrrrrrgh!!! I blanked that detail!!!! all the models *will* be 35, but not the older models on sale. <waaaaah!>

That Scenera is looking better by the minute
    Julie

Okay, so let's just forget about a Radian for now (I still have a few months, so if I can find a 35rf one for cheap I still might do that). IF it were down to the BLVD ff (I'd get tether anchors installed if I don't have them; haven't checked yet) or the Scenera rf, in a vehicle with no side impact airbags or curtains, you would use the...?

(the scenera is cheap enough that I don't mind buying it. My cousin could probably use it when I'm done. They need carseats for 3 cars. I really just want DD as safe as possible)

Kerri
    Last edited by Happy 2B mommy; 03-18-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Any seat RF will be safer than any seat FF, so Scenera is the better choice in that case.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'd choose RF all the way. Hopefully your DD will slow down in the weight gain department now that she's toddling! I'd just wait on buying anything as long as you can. She may surprise you!