Default another question about travelling alone with two little ones

I am going to be travelling alone with my 4 yo and 18 mo dds for the first time in less than 2 weeks. I have always bought seats for my babies before, but this time I do not have a ticket for the baby (no lectures, please - it was just too expensive). I'm still hoping that there will be a free seat for her; however, I do not think that I can manage to bring 2 seats to the gate by myself. Here are my questions:

1. What do you put the carseat in when you check it as baggage? Should I buy a car seat bag (or two)?

2. Is there a way that I can arrange for another adult to see us to and from the gate even though they aren't ticketed (dh and one end and my dad or mom at the other)? Then I could bring both car seats to the gate and use them on the plane if possible.

If I can't have another adult help me to the gate, I'm considering checking one seat and bringing the other to the gate. I can put my 18 mo dd in it if there is a spare seat and my 4 yo in it if there is not (she's very small and still fits fine). Of course, it would be much easier if I just checked them both with the luggage.

Alix

I'm sure some seasoned travellers will have advice, but I'd just be so worried if I checked it and it got lost... it's a risk you could take if someone is meeting you at the airport and can get/will have seats, but otherwise, I'd say it's too much risk.
    See if you can choose your seats in advance (on the website)...try to reserve an aisle and a window and I bet no one will sit between you, voila, seat for baby
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

bensmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I agree with Julie. I personally am really nervous about the idea of checking seats (even gate-checking. My sister's gate-checked stroller showed up 2 days after she did). I'd think about having the person meeting you bring a Scenera to the airport for the baby to use and then just bring your seat on the plane for your older dd to use (or the younger one if there is an empty seat - what seat is it?).

Or, depending on whether you're looking to invest in a new seat and how small your 4 yo is, I'd bring a seat for the 18 mo old and a SafeGuard Go for the older one on the plane. The Go is just a carryon and either child can use the other seat (based on your original info).

As for having an adult help you to the gate - I'd call the airline and ask. Sometimes they will give you a pass for someone to come to the gate, but you need to have it in your reservation info (DH went to the gate to pick up my niece, but he had to get a pass at the ticket counter).
    Ilana
    CPST and mom to 3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2
    I'm sure some seasoned travellers will have advice, but I'd just be so worried if I checked it and it got lost... it's a risk you could take if someone is meeting you at the airport and can get/will have seats, but otherwise, I'd say it's too much risk.
    See if you can choose your seats in advance (on the website)...try to reserve an aisle and a window and I bet no one will sit between you, voila, seat for baby
    I have already reserved window and aisle seats for just this purpose I'm not terribly worried about losing the seats b/c in that event I could always have my parents stop by Target and buy a couple of Sceneras. I travel with a ComfortSport and CarGo, so the replacement value isn't too high. I would really like to be able to put my 18 month old in a carseat on the plane b/c I know that I will have trouble containing her on my lap or in an airplane seat without a harness.

Alix