Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default WWYD- which seat to take on vacation for 6mo?

I need to choose between these options for 6mo DS for an upcoming plane/car trip. DS is a very small 6 months at 14 pounds. We don't have a plane ticket for him so any seat we take will be checked/gate checked for the flight. Should we:

1. Take the snugride (without the base)? DH is confident with install with the locking clip and no base.

2. Take the sngride and buy a base there? We will not be spending much time in a car other than the ride from the airport to nana's house.

3. Take our Cosco Scenera? It seems like a big seat for such a little guy, but I like that we don't need to worry about the base issue.

4 yo DD will have a CARES on the flight and Nana has a 5 pt harness seat that I believe is FF only- so not an option for DS.
    Laurel

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How about take the Snugride and check the base?

I did that with my SafeSeat last week. I put the SS1 base in our checked luggage. It was in a big suitcase and then I packed clothes around it. Then I carried the seat on the plane. That way if there is an empty seat, you can use it on the plane. If not, gate check it or even put it in the overhead bin.

ET clarify that just the base was checked.
    Last edited by o_mom; 03-18-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, o_mom, I hadn't even thought about that option!
    Laurel

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

BTW, you shouldn't, as a rule need the locking clip when you use it baseless. For a lapbelt (on the plane or center back seat of older cars), just thread it through and tighten. For a lap-shoulder belt, only the lap portion goes through the guides. Then you tighten and lock the belt either by pulling all the way out to switch the retractor or locks at the latchplate. There may be situations where the latchplate doesn't lock or the angle of the seat keeps it from locking, but in general, you shouldn't need a locking clip. With the base, you usually need one for a switchable lap-shoulder belt to keep it from tipping. Since the shoulder portion does not go through the guides, you won't have that problem without the base.

You can see pictures of the baseless install here (p29): http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/pdfs..._ISPC106AA.pdf
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)