Default question about ridesafer vest on plane

i ran a few searches but couldn't find the answer to this question but i am also quickly skimming because i am in such a panic so please forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere. we are traveling by air on thursday and i just got my ridesafer vest today. i bought it for my 4.5 yr old ds who weighs 42 lbs. i understand how to install in a car but i'm completely confused about how this would be fit on an airplane since the top tether cannot be used. is it enough just to use the lap belt with this vest? it seems to me then that he has no chest protection. am i missing something??? please help! i'm in panic mode because we are leaving on thursday and i already will be lugging one marathon for younger ds and the thought of this vest not working on the plane and having to carry 2 marathons is freaking me out!!! tia for helping and please forgive my frantic state.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are you thinking of the CARES harness? That's the one that is approved for use on airplanes ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The Saferider vest is NOT FAA approved and cannot be used on the plane. At 4.5 years, he's probably fine to sit on the plane in a regular belt though.
    Kris

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yup-- we carried our vest on in a duffel bag, and just strapped DS into his seat with his seatbelt on our last flight (he's 4.5). Had some crazy turbulence, and the seatbelt did a great job keeping him put-- he slept through the turbulence with his head on DH's lap.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)