Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2
    Yeah, I know the FB's are dry inside, I was just brainstorming...maybe the hydrophilic liner would be even drier, or be a barrier between whatever irritant is being left in the FB's....
    I'm sorry, I just thought I wasn't communicating well. I'm a nerd, we're bad at that.

But the redness and bleeding she described in her last post really bug me, so I took a little time this morning to explore the vast amount of reference material available to me at work:

I remembered that heat is the most effective way to decompose urea. What I didn't consider is that bacteria will eat urea as a nitrogen source and produce ammonia as a byproduct. Jana, you didn't mention if the diapers were dirty, or just wet. If they're dirty, bacteria from the stool can cause the ammonia smell.

If the diapers are just wet, my gut feeling is that bacteria are still getting at that urine somehow. They could be living in the diaper, but it could be a UTI or another infection. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but here's what I would do:

1) Call your pediatrician and make an appointment. The symptoms you describe deserve to be looked at no matter what is causing them. You might ask your oldest what pee-ing feels like. Don't lead him by asking for specific symptoms.
    2) Put your two boys in disposables for the time being, at least until you get in to see the doctor. They're not sterile per say, but if it's something in your diapers, the odds of the disposables having the same problem is very, very low.
    3) Give all your boys' fuzzibuns and inserts a really good cleaning. I've never heard of cloth diapers causing something like this, but my experience is limited (not to mention theoretical). A good thorough cleaning won't hurt them. And wash them separately from your daughter's diapers, just in case.
    4) For your oldest, I'd just bite the bullet, put him in undies, and work on night-time potty training. I don't know if this is feasible for you.

I really hope they get to feeling better, it makes me wince to just read the symptoms in your second post.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default We get the same smell

Our well water is very hard, high in Manganese and Iron. We get a red bottom and ammonia smell if I do not strip the diapers often, there is no perceptable odor when the diapers come out of the drier ever. Only when she pees a lot.

I pre-rinse with baking soda, use powdered tide and hot as can be water for the wash, I do a vinegar rinse and another rinse. Every third load I run the diapers through another entire hot cycle with no detergents or additives. The ammonia smell goes away.

I do have a front loading machine so I can program all of this in.

We added a whole house carbon filter ~$45 from Lowes, that has made a difference.

Have you tested your water to see what is in it?
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Ok Dr says use aquaphor looks like irritation. So we are doing that tonight.

I do have hard water but I haven't had it tested. My washing machien alone has a lot of residue in between its cleaning cycles. Where does one find calgon? I will check the detergent aisle at the grocery store. Where is a whole house water filter installed? That sounds like a great idea. We might look into that.

I have been using vinegar but it doesn't seem to do much (unless that could be causing a problem?) I will try the baking soda prerinse. how much of that do you use?

The reaction only seems to happen at night. They do get a lot wetter at night than during the day. Both of them are potty trained in the day so they stay really dry. This started before my youngest DS was potty trained though. The fzzibunz on my oldest aren't too tight they are xxl and are not even close to being too small. I made sure we weren't snapping them too tight.

I dont' think it is heat, especially if sposies are worse, then they use sposies it goes away.

No diet changes that I can think of, however it is possible that they are getting dehydrated they have been crazy lately and it is hard to get them to drink enough during hte day.I might actually try changing them at night. We just had a new baby come home 2 mos ago.

We use biokleen I haven't tried dawn I am not sure of the process but I am willing to try anything.

Rice paper made it worse when i tried it.

The fuzzi bunz fleece stays dry but the diapers definately are wet.

Thanks for the help hopefully a good stripping will help, fingers crossed.
    Jana

Calgon is in the regular detergent aisle at my grocery store. It's in a small-ish white detergent-shaped bottle. I think it's with the stain remover stuff.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Whole house filter

The filter goes right on the main water line straight from the pressure tank. It was super super easy to install. We did it ourselves, and are not plumbers. It has caught a lot of stuff. If you have build up in your washer, you probably have build up on your diapers that are causing problems.

I would really consider a water test, they are about $20 bucks and can give you great insight as to what type of treatment you need.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekLady
    I'm sorry, I just thought I wasn't communicating well. I'm a nerd, we're bad at that.

No, no, it's my bad (oh, please, did I just say that?), I just stumbled in here like a smarty pants

OP, I hope something works fast for you!!!

Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2