SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Environmental impact of diaper service vs do it at home

Dh and I are diagreeing on this a bit. He thinks that the service, even though they would have to drive about an hour, would be better environmentally. His reason is that industrial washing machines are more efficient and less wasteful with water. He says that even on the small load setting at home the machine uses way more water than necessary.

So, provided the diaper service uses products that I feel comfortable with (they bill themselves as trying to use environmentally products and methods, ncluding drying the diapers in the sun), would it be a more environmentally sound choice than washing my own diapers at home?

I think that all the driving off sets the value of the industrial machines.

Thoughts?

Beth

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Talking

Beth - tell your DH you won this argument. Between the carbon emissions and fuel costs of driving, plus the enormous amounts of chemicals used by diaper services, they're actually considered about as un-environmental as disposable diapers. There's a comparison chart about this somewhere (maybe mothering.com?) that a friend sent me before my DD was born. Apparently the chemical use is pretty crazy, because of liability issues (given that we're dealing with infants and poop, there's high potential for transmitting germs.) Washing diapers at home is definitely the most enviro-friendly option, especially if you choose biodegradable and non-phosphorus based detergents.

for Sandy Hook

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles
    Dh and I are diagreeing on this a bit. He thinks that the service, even though they would have to drive about an hour, would be better environmentally. His reason is that industrial washing machines are more efficient and less wasteful with water. He says that even on the small load setting at home the machine uses way more water than necessary.

So, provided the diaper service uses products that I feel comfortable with (they bill themselves as trying to use environmentally products and methods, ncluding drying the diapers in the sun), would it be a more environmentally sound choice than washing my own diapers at home?

I think that all the driving off sets the value of the industrial machines.
    It might depend on where you live. There are areas of this country where (at least at drought time) water is in precious supply.

People on a septic system might prefer not to put that much water through their system as well. (One of the ladies I work with at church is doing all her laundry at a laundromat because of septic system problems and to avoid putting any more than necessary into it until they can get it pumped, etc)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by citymama
    Beth - tell your DH you won this argument. Between the carbon emissions and fuel costs of driving, plus the enormous amounts of chemicals used by diaper services, they're actually considered about as un-environmental as disposable diapers. There's a comparison chart about this somewhere (maybe mothering.com?) that a friend sent me before my DD was born. Apparently the chemical use is pretty crazy, because of liability issues (given that we're dealing with infants and poop, there's high potential for transmitting germs.) Washing diapers at home is definitely the most enviro-friendly option, especially if you choose biodegradable and non-phosphorus based detergents.
    Trust me...DH has a degree in waste water management. This is why we didn't go that route.

honestly, I think either route is environmentally responsible, considering you won't be adding to the ridiculous amount of diapers filling the landfills.

I have heard from many places that a diaper service does use considerably less water than washing at home. Another point is if they have other clients on the same route as you would be as far as their driving, then you're not really adding much extra gas and travel on their part. I'm just happy you're choosing cloth, regardless of how you get them washed
    Jenna, owner - Laina's Laundry

What I have read about diaper services is that if (a big IF) the industrial washing uses less water than at home, it is offset by the sheer number of wash cycles used. Our local diaper service (and I think other services too) let customers throw the diaper with all the poop in it into the pail, and then (I assume) diapers and poop from all their customers goes in the industrial washing machine. Obviously, it takes a lot of washing to get that clean and hygenic.

I do know that the local diaper service has a water recycling program at their industrial washing facility, so that offers some environmental benefit.

Another factor is that the washing facility may not be local to the diaper service. I live in a small city/big town, and the diaper service drives the diapers an hour away to a larger city for washing, thus increasing the environmental impacct of driving.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9