KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ack, PT was going so well and not it's not!

We are going through major regression. Alek was going great a week ago, but now he's not going on the potty at all. He's 3.5, he has successfully peed and pooped on the potty and he was getting good at taking off his pants and underwear.

He has all the skills so now it's a matter of practice. We have been having problems because he is in pull ups for naps and bedtime and we've had a lot of leaking issues and wet bed sheets, no fun. I need to get him out of the pull ups right away when he wakes up.

He's also had a lot of the "I cant" phrase going on and I think its related to PTing.

We have not used rewards too much. I am thinking of breaking out some candy although I don't like external rewards, they may work. A friend who funnily is very concerned about healthy eating trained her daughter with spoonfuls of ice cream on the potty. I don't love the idea, but Alek needs to get back on track. My husband is very very frustrated, I'm glad the weekend is over and this is back in my domain for most of the day.

What should I do?
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

DS1 did this, too. It was making us tear our hair out....

We just kept to the line that it was his pee and poop, and it was his job to take care of them and himself. He had to take a shower each time he had an accident AND he had to clean himself up (with direction) in the shower. This was an excellent, built-in motivator - he just hates showering. We were as totally matter-of-fact about it as we could be (even though both DH and I were often seething inside), with caring voice and no emotion.

We also used the train-and-sticker chart to show success, and promised him he could go pick out any toy he wanted at Target if he got to the end. This was a *real* motivator. We went through it twice - once for pee'ing and once for pooping.

Best of luck. This is one of the most trying times, isn't it?
    Last edited by ThreeofUs; 10-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so sorry you're going through this, too - we are ready to scream over here! DS had been doing BEAUTIFULLY and now manages to soil his pants at least once per day. I'm just so tired and sad.

Nothing is working for me but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!

Good luck!
    Stephanie

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD did this, too, although it only lasted for two days. But, in those two days, she was peeing anywhere but the potty or her diaper.

Here's what we did - we used regular diapers for nap and nighttime. I don't think DD quite got the concept of pullups. We just calmly cleaned up any accidents and explained that next time she should go on the potty. We used the train sticker chart, too(here is the site it came from: http://www.childavenue.com/pages/fam...intables.html).
    She got a sticker for every successful pottying and once she filled up her train she got a prize (one of those little tubs of playdoh, usually). We also made sure to give her plenty of liquids so there would be lots of opportunity for her to successfully go on the potty and we would try to remember to have her try at least once an hour.

We are usually not big into rewards but then I figured this is a big milestone and takes a lot of effort on her part, so why not reward it?
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We seem to be back on track. I asked Alek this morning "will you please use the potty today?" and he said yes. And now he's gone twice. I hope it lasts!!!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KBecks
    We seem to be back on track. I asked Alek this morning "will you please use the potty today?" and he said yes. And now he's gone twice. I hope it lasts!!!
    Karen, is it still going well? I hope so! [not such great news here...]

Stephanie
    Stephanie

Mamma to James