Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wink What's your favorite WDW guidebook?

Lisa Birnbaum? the Unofficial? WDW for Kids?

And I'm not opposed to buying more than one!

I got a lot out of the Unofficial Guide. The message board were informative (disboards specifically) but quickly overwhelming to me.

onjbj is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I like Birnbaum, although I found that the 2008 Edition had a few mistakes in it- especially in terms of changes to the Dining Plan. I used the 2006 Edition like a Bible for my trip in 2006. I skimmed the 2008 Edition for my upcoming trip and other than a few mistakes, it's still a great guide. The website "intercot" is also an amazing resource with menus, photos, and a great discussion board.

Karin

Thanks, I bought Birnbaum and Unofficial- and Birnbaum for kids for DN- my sister and I are reading each, then exchanging. Unofficial seems waaaay overwhelming but covers literally everything!

LaurelC is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I like the Unofficial Guide the best, hands down. I really liked the touring plans in the book - although we didn't follow any of them to the letter, we used the general principles of them when deciding what to ride when, etc.

I also really like the disboards.
    Laurel, Mom to Madeline 5/21/04 and Joseph 4/10/07

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The thing to remember with the guide books is that they are usually out of date by the time they go to print. This is especially true for information about food and the dining plan. So its good to supplement them with more current information like at disboards.

You don't need to read disboards all the time, but I would read them for about 2 weeks now and then for about 2 weeks before you leave. After 2 weeks, the information starts getting pretty repetitive so most people tend to ask the same questions.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

excellent suggestions- thanks! Right now we are frantically trying to get dining reservations as we are right at the 180 day point.

colleenfs is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I prefer Tour Guide Mike to a guidebook. It's a wonderful resource!

Quote Originally Posted by colleenfs
    I prefer Tour Guide Mike to a guidebook. It's a wonderful resource!

So will tour guide Mike provide everything that books and disney message boards will? I am a big internet researcher, but I am way overwhelmed by the 3 or 4 Disney boards I have checked out. I looked at a few books at Borders today and they were good for an overview, but I could sense they were already out of date on a few things.

So basically my question is, it better to invest $20 in a book (and supplementing with free message boards) or just go straight to tour guide Mike? We will likely be going sometime between this Fall and next spring at a non-busy time if that matters. TIA!

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

ok, i have the unofficial guide w/ kids & also just signed up with Tourguidemike. both seem pretty invaluable.
    i also have the 2008 unofficial that i got a couple days ago before finding TGM and will return it as i don't think it'll be necessary since i already have the w/kids version.
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast