Thread: PT help please!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default PT help please!

I need to get started with PTing DS2, who just turned 3 this month. He is showing some interest, but other times gets really upset at the notion of sitting on the toilet. I thought it might work better if I bought him a potty rather than a toilet insert, but don't even know where to begin. We used the Cushie Tushie toilet seat insert for DS1 and it was okay, but it would leak through the gap between the seat and the insert and it never had a big enough deflector on it, so we were sprayed far too often (not fun). This time out, I want to either replace the insert with something better or buy a potty, but have no idea what to look for. What I do know is that I want it to have as few parts as possible, be easy to clean, and have no room for leakage. I also need it to have a good deflector on it. I am hesitant to buy anything with a lid because I am afraid it will close on DS and scare him (will it? or am I overthinking?).

I looked at the potties at TRU today and found the little Baby Bjorn potty. It seemed to have everything I wanted in a potty, but it seems awfully small. DS2 is not a small kid (he is pretty average for a 3 year old). Does it fit a 3 year old? The bigger Baby Bjorn potty had 2 parts, which wasn't horrible, but I would still prefer a 1 piece potty of possible.

Lastly, is it worth bringing DS to the store to pick something out? He is really very blase about PTing and might show a bit of interest in a Diego potty. Do characters help or is that just a temporary excitement that soon goes away?

Thanks!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have the bjorn big potty. It's really easy to clean. We dump, fill with water, dump again and then I clean it with a wipe. I wipe the stand part about every other day, it rarely gets peed on, but I clean it to make sure. A few friends have potties that you have to pull out the insert to dump - it always seems difficult to do without making a mess, and they have more nooks/crannies to clean, and in all honesty the potties smelt of pee.
    Last edited by niccig; 04-01-2008 at 06:45 PM.