Default Some questions regarding Breastfeeding and pump times?

I have a newborn (1 week old, my first) and have been breast feeding.

We have an Ameda Purely yours pump and wanted to know how long and how frequent the pump can be used for with out it overheating.

I've read through the manual several times but couldn't find anything.

Is 20 minutes every 2 hours too frequent?

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't think so, although it might wear out sooner. However, if you're a newbie to pumping I would suggest not pumping for more than 10 minutes at a time to start. It might be hard on your nipples if you pump that long, that often, in addition to nursing a newborn. I would also wait another week or so before pumping, give your milk supply to chance to settle. Many women, though not all, overproduce in the beginning then settle after about a month. If you pump that much, you may set your body up for even more overproduction and get clogged ducts. If OTOH, you are not producing enough and are trying to increase production, then forget that last statement And congratulations!
    Last edited by maestramommy; 03-26-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Congrats!!

I think you don't want to pump too frequenty at the beginning because it will stimulate your breasts to produce more milk and may lead to oversupply. The first month or so I only pumped to relieve engorgement. That ended up being once or twice in the night as DD was sleeping longer stretches. I would stop when I got to an ounce or two. Once she was a month old, I started pumping to purposefully build up a stash and that I did once or twice a day. When I went back to work when she was 10 weeks I pumped only to replace the feedings she was missing. I always had an abundant supply so pumped more than she needed, but I know many women do add an extra session or two a day to be able to get enough for the kiddo.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with the PPs. Unless you need the milk to feed your baby (NICU, poor suck, tongue tie, etc.) you only need to pump for engorgement at this point.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Default pumping

i agree that pumping that long is probably not a great idea. i pumped 2-3 times a day, after breastfeeding and had great supply - enough to stash a bunch for when i went back to work. the books i read said no more than 10-15 minutes per nipple, and that is what i have always done. if you pump longer, i really worry you will damage your nipples. my nipples got crazy tender around week 3-4, and if you get into that sort of trouble, if might make you less enthusiastic about breastfeeding. so take it easy and pace yourself this early on. and congratulations!