Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default questions about cloth wipes

We normally use disposable dipes and wipes on ds. And usually it's not a problem. Except when he gets ahold of too much apple juice or chocolate. This happened last week. Mil gave him 2 sippy cups of juice when she was sitting and I had given him the necessary 2 to alliviate his constipation. Add to that the m&m's that he got ahold of and it wasnt' pretty.

He gets an awful diaper rash that quickly turns to yeast. The disp. dipes don't seem to bother him when he has these but he screams bloody murder when we use wipe. So I normally use wet washclothes. But since this happenes often I think I had better invest in some quality cloth wipes for these occasions. Especially since the washclothes ineveitably end up back with our regular washclothes after they've been washed a few times-ewww.

So how do I make good cloth wipes? Do i wash them the same way you all wash cloth dipes. I don't want to scent them or put anything with chemicals in them since these are for when he has super rashes. Or can I purchase some somewhere?

I don't use cloth wipes, but from everything I've read, they're pretty easy to make and use. Some people make a wipe "solution" for them, others just wet them down.

Here are a few threads I found over on MDC that might help get you started:
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=wipes

Good luck!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I don't sew much, so I bought mine from Gretchen of Small Wonders Wipes (also known as trudy4u on ebay). I bought 3 dozen back in Aug 05 and they have been used daily since then and are still in great condition! Just bought a bunch more for the new baby. I highly recommend Gretchen, she is super sweet to work with, has great prices and does excellent work! My favorite are velour/sherpa wipes. We just wet ours with water. GL!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I cut up terry cloth and stiched the edges, and bought some online. I just use a little baby soap and a squirt of Kissuluvs diaper lotion potion. I wash with the dipes. We rarely use disposable wipes, they tend to give her a rash.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I also don't sew but I bought a bunch of sherpa/velour wipes in 2005 that I will continue to use when DC comes next week. They are still in excellent condition. I wash them with my cloth diapers so how I wash them is first a cold prewash then a hot wash then a cold rinse. You might be able to skip the prewash if its just the wipes. I don't use anything on them except warm water. I wet a bunch down and stick them in my wipes warmer then I have nice warm wipes when ever I change DC. The voulor/sherpa combo is great because velour is so soft and sherpa is good at grabbing and holding onto the stickier messes.
    Here is the site I bought mine:
    http://www.lucyshopechest.com/store/...mbs=No&Thumbs=
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

i originally made mine with old flannel receiving blankets and old baby hooded towels. Just cut up and stitched around the edges with an overlock stich. If you want them to be nicer, you can sew them right sides together and turn and topstitch (which is what I do now). Washing just the wipes, I would just throw them in with your regular "whites" that you wash on hot. HTH!
    Jenna, owner - Laina's Laundry

I don't use a wipes solution, I just use warm water that I keep in a pump style thermos container on her changing table. I also use some very soft washclothes as wipes and they work well too.

I use washclothes too and have bought a seperate color to make sure they don't get mixed up with ours (I buy the huge packs at walmart and use the colored ones for face wipes and the white ones for buts). Just wanted to throw that out as an option.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD also has a super-sensitive behind when she has a rash. I echo everything that MommyAllison said. I bought wipes from Gretchen also, and they are wonderful. My favorite is also the velour/sherpa. We keep them in a wipes warmer after wetting a stack down with plain tap water. I tried the solutions, but found they were just overkill for us. We wash them in hot in a separate load from other items. I just use a little bit of All Free & Clear and no fabric softener. Sometimes when it's nice outside I dry them in the sun on a rack. Helps whiten them up some.

We don't use them when we're out and about though. Normally we use Huggies Sensitive wipes for that. If she's broken out, we use Viva paper towels and water. The Viva towels are super soft and come in the select-a-size, so you can get them to be the right size. I also will take them to daycare for her if she's broken out.

Gretchen's wipes are so nice that I've bought them and her burp cloths as gifts for baby showers. They are *always* a hit.

Kirsten

I have probably three or four dozen cloth wipes. I bought most of mine from Gretchen, and from Ann at www.tykiediapers.com. Some are three years old and still going strong. We use them for everything, baths, wiping faces in the kitchen, wiping noses, and wiping bottoms. They are clean after washing, so I don't worry about trying to keep them separated by use.

I wash in hot with the cloth dipes, dry in dryer on hot. I have a wipes warmer full of water next to the changing table, and dip a wipe in and wring out before use. easy peasy.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast