Default do printed fabric cd's leak more than solids?

I bought ds his very first cd today. I was at the store and discovered I was out of huggies. What's a mom to do? I bought a used cd and an insert. And for the 15 minutes that ds had it on before he pooped again it was great. I bought a fuzzi bunz one even though i really liked the pattern on the happy heineys. And here's the reason for the question.

The gal working-and I'd like to add this is a store I shop at a LOT. The gals son invited dd to his bd party tomorrow and we would have gone if my folks weren't coming over. Anyway-she said that sometimes people have problems with the pattern fabric leaking simply because of the design in the fabric and that solid color cd's seem to leak less. Does anyone else find that to be true? I'm just wondering. We're still undecided about switching over,I've got more reading to do.

It depends on the material used for the print fabric, but in general, it's true. All of the following is true for print pocket diapers, AIOs and covers.

Most print fabrics are a cotton/polyster woven fabric that is laminated with polyurethane laminate (usually just called PUL: it's the shiny waterproof coating on the inside of the Fuzzibunz you bought). Happy Heiny diapers are the perfect example of this kind of cotton/poly PUL. The cotton in the fabric attracts moisture more than polyster and thus they CAN leak or wick (get wet at the edges). Also, I think the laminate on most cotton/poly prints is a little thinner than on solid color PUL fabric, or maybe it doesn't adhere as well to the bumpiness of the weave.

Solid color fabrics are usually 100% polyster fabric, and they are a knit fabric with a very small amount of stretch. The polyster fibers don't attract moisture as much and the solid color fabrics thus stay drier. There's about a dozen solid color PUL fabrics used by almost all diaper makers, so for solid colors, the differences between brands is in the diaper or cover, not usually in the fabric.

The exception to all of this is if a diaper manufacturer gets a special run of print polyster PUL. Fuzzibunz has a number of print fabrics now, as does Motherease and Bummis. In my experience, those print fabrics feel and perform the same as print PUL, although I wouldn't swear that is always true. Even smaller makers of diapers sometimes get their hands on print polyster fabrics.

There is one pther common type of print diaper, usually handmade by a WAHM. The outer is print fabric, usually a woven fabric, bought from an ordinary fabric store with no laminate on it, which means it could be in any of hundreds or thousands of different prints. It's just decorative. The WAHM then sandwiches a layer of PUL fabric underneath the print for waterproofness, and then adds a final layer of a nice liner that will touch baby. So the PUL/waterproof layer is hidden, although you can often feel the decorative print outer sliding smoothly across the PUL under it. I think these diaper tend to wick a bit too, not sure why.

Bottom line: use solid color diapers for long stretches without a change (like naptime or bedtime). Use print fabrics if you like the way they look and are prepared for the possibility that you may need to change more often or may get a dud that wicks/leaks a lot.
    Last edited by american_mama; 04-05-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I have a froggy-printed old-school FB and a new cow-print HHOS. No problems with leaks ever.

That said, I double-stuff all my diapers. DS is a super soaker!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."