Default Nursing Bra Advice

Any advice on good nursing bras? With DS1, I just got some of the cotton bras from Motherhood - they did OK, but I found they kept shrinking and didn't really hold up well. DS1 was a winter baby so I didn't really worry too much about the nursing pads showing through the bras b/c I always wore sweaters or sweatshirts to cover up.

This time, I need some better bras and ones that may help cover up the nursing pads (since I'll be wearing t-shirts - hopefully!)

Any ideas?

Oh, I need to be able to order online since I'm on bed rest right now...
    DS1 1/05
    DS2 5/08

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

when are you supposed to buy nursing bras? i'm 35 weeks along and not sure if i should wait... i imagine i'll get bigger, right?

i hope we get some good advice about brands too!

(beansprout13, there's a 10% sale at babycenter.com)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Get a cheap stretchy one at Target right now for the engorgement, changing size phase, then wait until 3-4 weeks after the baby and get a well fitting bra, try to have it fitted. I love the Anita bras. They are pricey at $60, but my 2 has lasted a year and then I shrank and got a smaller size. They are super comfortable, the best bras I have ever had.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I second the Anita bras, they are the only ones that I like. I also have soem from mimi maternity and target but those jsut don't fit well / wash well.

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i don't think i've ever seen anita bras. where do you buy them?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also LOVE my Anita bras...I have 3. I bought my at http://www.birthandbaby.com. They have a fit guide which helps you figure out what size to buy and also have great product descriptions (when to order up or down a size). Best of all, shipping is only$1!!!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another Anita bra fan here -- by far the best investment I made while nursing. I will NEVER do other brands next time around.

I ordered from birthandbaby.com too but they often were out of stock (and didn't always share that they were out of stock when you ordered). I had a lot of luck with www.herroom.com - I think that's the site.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

I liked my Bravado bras. I had three and got plenty of mileage out of them.

Amy

I would highly recommend going and getting fitted at least initially so that you're in the right size. The teacher at my breastfeeding class recommended going around 37-38 weeks, but a lot of people say to wait until after baby is born and you're not engorged anymore. If you go to a store where they know how to fit properly, they'll be able to put you in the right size (the girl who fit me was right on...I was a 38D when I went in, she put me in a 38F and it fit perfectly). The advantage to doing that is that you have your nursing bra for in the hospital and when you first come home and aren't up to going out to run errands like buy a nursing bra. If at all possible, go to a specialty bra store to get fit. Victoria's Secret won't cut it, trust me. You may need to call around to find out if your area has a store, but most likely they do. Even if it's not specifically a nursing bra store. Many stores that specialize in post-mastectomy bras also carry nursing bras and will be able to fit you right. If you call your local LLL or a lactation consultant, they should be able to help you find a shop. If you don't have a specialty shop, a good department store like Nordstrom can fit you also.

I had both Bravado and Anita bras and liked them both. The Bravados were my sleep/exercise/lounge around the house bras. They were also great at the very beginning because they were stretchy and better for engorgement. The Anitas were my bras for when I was getting out of the house and wanted to wear a "real" bra.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.