shaee is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Which swing to buy? Good music + sturdy motor

Hi

I am in the process of deciding on which swing to buy?

My current options are

1) Graco Lovin Hug Easy Entry Open Top/Curved Frame Swing in Bancroft
    http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Lovin-En...645078&sr=1-23

2) Fisher-Price Rainforest Open-Top Cradle Swing
    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-R...sbs_ba_title_7

I have heard stories that some swings dont 'swing' or that music is annoying and horrible. Anyone has any suggestions?

Also should i buy the swing now... baby hasnt arrived yet or wait till the baby is here and then go shopping...

Thanks

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, just about all of the music those types of things play bothers me but as far as swings go, I really like the ones that swing from side to side or front to back. We had gotten rid of our first one and this time around DH decided to splurge on the papasan one. Last time we waited to buy the swing but this time we found a good sale and got it early.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

We have the Graco and the music is actually not at all annoying, which I found to be a complete shock!

We have the FP swing and love it! DS prefers the side-to-side swinging motion and the music doesn't bother me. It also runs on batteries and can run off the electrical outlet, which is extremely convenient (and more preferable for us).

From what I understand (posters from these boards), FP customer service is great. We have not had any need to contact them but DS is only 2 months old. We have not had any issues with the FP swing to date.
    -----------------------
    Karen

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have an older version of that swing (mine is from 2003) and my babies have all loved it. In fact, the motor just finally went out on it and so I called Graco to see if i could get a replacement. They did have a replacement motor for $36. Since the babies all loved it I got the new motor and fixed it up easily.

just wanted to offer another opinion. Graco customer service was easy to work with.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by shaee
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

With fisher price i have heard that once babies start to get a few pounds heavy, the swing doesnt work properly.

Has anybody had this issue with any of these swings?
    We didn't have that problem. Like I said, we liked it enough that we bought a second.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Fisher Price Papasan swing!!! Great product and sanity saver. My baby slept in that swing and at different times rocked front to back, then other times preferred side to side. Soft cozy fabric, not annoying to listen to and a work horse. We used it for A YEAR! So long, that I checked the manual to see the weight limit (25 lbs). We were getting close. It was between the living and dining room so I was in visual contact while baby (or almost toddler!) was in it, she loved that darn swing and would sleep for two or even three hours in it for a nap. Never used it at night, but it was a lifesaver during the day. We also rented the Fisher Price aquarium swing when we took baby to Maui and that swing was very similar in shape of the seat and action and it worked great too and was sturdy enough to hold up as a rental. We did not like the Graco swing that a good friend loaned us when I had my first baby. He hated it, it wasn't as sturdy and baby was not resting back but just kind of sitting. We didn't use it. It was an older model and I bet they make better ones, but we love the Papasan swing.

We've liked our Graco Lovin Hug. DD doesn't like the swing for long stretches of time, but I think that's her, not the swing.
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

we have the FP swing and I love it, DD not so much. I think it's a litte overwhelmng for her. I know FP has had lots of good reviews recently for good CS-replacing motors etc. I will warn you that the FP swing has a huge footprint-but it does fold up some (and easily) when not in use. And putting it together was easy peasy. With DS I had a standard swing and it didn't recline well and DS hated it.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)