Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, you'll definitely need a car. On Maui, if you stay at the Marriott, it's about 30 mins from the airport and even further if you choose Kaanapali or anywhere near Lahaina. I'm partial to Wailea because that's where we've always stayed on Maui. Have you looked into the Maui Prince Hotel in Makena near Wailea? My friends stayed there last year and had a great time. It's also close to Molokini Crater which is one of the top spots for snorkeling. There are lots of restaurants, shops and grocery stores in nearby Kihei. We usually stock up at the Safeway on the way to the hotel. If you decide on the Marriott, make sure their renovations are already complete or that you're staying away from a construction area. My ds loves the Sugar Cane Train. It's a 30 min ride both ways and the conductor gives a nice tour. We usually stop at the Maui Ocean Center for an hour or two before riding the Sugar Cane Train. Afterwards, we'll head over to Lahaina to browse the galleries and have a meal.

On Oahu, the Marriott is nice with all the lagoons but far from anything else. I haven't been over there in a really long time but they are building new hotels and condos in Ko'Olina so make sure it doesn't affect your stay. I like the Kahala Hotel for the beach and the dolphins but it's adjacent to a private golf club and residential area and you'll most definitely need a car. Waikiki gets a bad rap but it's really trying to reinvent itself. They've opened the Beachwalk and renovated the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center and both of these places offer lots of dining and shopping options. The Royal Hawaiian is a great hotel - it's the pink one - but I'm not sure if it's still under renovation. If you're a starwood member, try the Moana Surfrider Hotel. It used to be a Sheraton but I think it's been rebranded a Westin. Both of these hotels have a bit of the old Hawaii charm.
    Last edited by luvmypeanut; 04-17-2008 at 12:16 PM.
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

Quote Originally Posted by kozachka
    Now I am driving myself crazy choosing hotels. I actually enjoy it. In Maui I am trying to choose between Kaanapali Beach Hotel, which is the cheapest option, most Hawaiian and has children activities for kids under 5, Sheraton (great location), Westin (like water park setting), Hyatt and Marriott. In Oahu Kahala sounds awesome but pricy (but what the heck, right?), Marriott Ihilani is slightly ($270) cheaper and even cheaper (by another $250) Turtle Bay resort, which seems too far from it all.

I am also trying to figure out whether we'd need a car for all 10 days or only part of the trip. If anybody has any input I would greatly appreciate it.
    We stayed at the Hyatt on Maui in April 2007. Don't forget those Maui resort hotels charge an extra "resort fee." I was SHOCKED when we checked out at the Hyatt - it was exorbitant and I totally felt ripped off. They all incur those fees but they vary in price and what you get with it, so I'd recommend checking into it so you're not unpleasantly surprised.

The Maui Hyatt had an AWESOME pool for the kids. DD was almost 4 at the time and had a BLAST. We also played on the hotel beach for a bit but she could've spent the whole day at the pool. We had 2 rooms and they were spacious and nice for hotel rooms. I forgot the wing we stayed on, but it was the one farthest from the reception desk.

We rented a car and drove everywhere - even found a laundromat. I would highly recommend renting a car there - at least to go to the Maui Ocean Center and tool around towns besides Lahaina and Whaler's Village. Plus I always visit Costco whereever I go and that's close to the airport. I regret that we stayed in Kaanapali and never got to visit Wailea - we were just too busy going everywhere else.

If you're planning on going to a luau, I would NOT recommend the one @ the Hyatt. Plus staying in the wing we were in, we practically heard it every night anyway. The good ones were booked out even before we went (didn't plan ahead for that one and by the time we got there, it was too late and we got stuck at the Hyatt since we were staying there. I'd totally drive and pay $$ for a good experience.

Off the top of my head, we dined at Kimo's (just OK), Hula Grill (OK), Roy's (very good), and Lahaina Grill (excellent, but very $$ and no kids menu at the time). Then again, I usually prefer cheap local food - gimme mac salad and I'm a happy camper.
    The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. -Author unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2