SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default clothing question

What would you do????

DC measured in at 23 lbs. yesterday and 31 inches long. One inch short of 24 month clothing, but not weighing enough for it.

Do i try squeezing him in 18 month size or move him over to 24 month?

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It depends on the build of your child, but I find that clothing fits my children better if I use the height range as my guide. For example, DS2 is 22 lbs + 30 inches, so I put him in whatever size gives 28-31" as the range.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Up until recently, DS1 was always around 75% in height and 25% in weight so I always went by the height, otherwise the sleeves would be too short.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

DS is 29 in. or so (he keeps trying to eat the tape measure) and I don't know how many lbs. - but at around 40% for his age, which is 7.5 mos. I just go with the length. Unfortunately, some of his clothes are super baggy, and I try to avoid the Flashdance-falling-off-the-shoulder look, but what can you do? His rashguard swimsuit is size 18-24 months and it fits!!!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With DS who was and is super skinny but tall, I went with the height and took in his clothes (still take in his pants). With DD I have to go with whatever fits her mid section. She is 22 lbs and roughly 30 inches but in 24 month or 2T clothes because I have to get clothes that are not tight on her tummy and that I can get over he thighs. I don't pay very much attention to the height and weight suggestions on clothes sizes anymore. I know which brands will fit DD the best and which to stay away from.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8
    I don't pay very much attention to the height and weight suggestions on clothes sizes anymore. I know which brands will fit DD the best and which to stay away from.
    That is such the case...even which styles work better on which shapes of DC. Rompers/one-piece items don't work for my kids, unless they are Hannas, for some reason (long-waisted?). Height usually works well enough, but I KNOW which brands and styles just don't cut it right now. As their shapes change, though, brands may also!

I'd go with the 24 mo. size. My kids get taller every time they sleep.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have never tried Hannas. They seem so expensive. Are they worth it? Do they ever go on sale? Where do I buy them? I saw an outfit online that I thought was so cute but seemed very expensive. I mostly buy clothes from Kohl's, Children's Place, Macy's, JCPenny or online when I'm given a gift card to someplace nice. I don't usually buy from Gymboree, Target, Old Navy as I don't really like their styles for DS or DD.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

They are expensive compared to other brands but they do go on sale quite frequently, in fact they're having one now. They seem to be very good quality, nice and soft, and I really like that the onesies, for example, have 2 rows of snaps - so they "grow" with the child a bit. Which is good for us, since DS is destined to be tall and grows like a weed. I find that they don't run as short in the body as some brands as well. You can find it online at http://www.hannaandersson.com/division.asp?id=sale
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd say it also depends on what kind of clothing you're going for. Rompers, go ahead & move up. Shorts on the other hand, I stay back. DS is very think & his pants have a tendancy to, well, fall off as he goes running around playing. Pants are more difficult because in order to get length I need, they bag at the waist ( & I'm too lazy or uncreative in my thinking to think to take them up at the waist...), but shorts, well, who cares if they're a little shorter than average on a 2 year old? Shirts I go ahead & move up with just to get the length.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)