Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you do Disney as a day trip?

We will be in Florida for a family wedding Memorial Day weekend.
    We are flying in mid-week and I am considering going to Disney one day (probably Thursday) simply because we have nothing else to do.
    It would be a three hour drive. We would leave the hotel early and hope that the girls sleep some more in the car. I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I am pretty sure dd#1 would like it. She knows the Winnie the Pooh characters and likes going on amusement rides. I'm not sure about DD#2. Also, I will be six months pregnant- will they give me a problem going on the rides? (Just the ones that are appropriate for my girls).
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't do that. I would find something closer that you would enjoy. WDW is exhausting (even one day) and I can't imagine sandwiching it in between 3 hour drives.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree with Beth-- 3 hours each way is a long, long way. We've done the 1 hour thing several times (staying with family on the north side of town), and that's rough on whoever's driving home. 3 would be tough, and I'd be tempted to get a hotel room near the park for that night if I were to even consider it.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also agree that it would be too much for one day considering the 6 hours of driving. I would also add that the Memorial Day timeframe has historically coincided with Gay Days. While we are generally very tolerent of different lifestyles, we were appalled at the graphic, explicit tshirts, language and pdas. Not what we envisioned for a day at Disney. The Disney parks tend to be very crowded on holiday weekends and it will very hot for Memorial Day. We love Disney, but timing is everything! If you specify where in FL you will be staying, I'm sure we could come up with some alternate recommendations. If you have your heart set on Disney, I would definitely try to stay closer if possible.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would avoid it due to the holiday weekend (crowds) and the long drive. Disney is best IMO if you slow down and savor it.

That said, both of your girls would love it and you can go on any rides without a height restriction while pregnant. If you can find a way to stay overnight and start out fresh the next morning, I don't think that you'd be disappointed!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Memorial Day weekend is historically one of the highest weekends/times for crowds. There are days that the parks actually close because they are at capacity. This also means huge lines.

Honestly, I think it would not only be hard but nearly impossible.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Davids-Coco
    Memorial Day weekend is historically one of the highest weekends/times for crowds. There are days that the parks actually close because they are at capacity. This also means huge lines.

Honestly, I think it would not only be hard but nearly impossible.
    I know Memorial Day has huge crowds, bu I was thinking of Memorial day weekend as Sat., Sun., and Mon. I was hoping by going on Thursday we could avoid some of that.
    Alicia

Thanks everyone for your input!
    The drive is not so much a factor for my DH because he commutes two hours to work. We have successfully done a trip from NY to NH and back in one day with both girls so maybe our idea of a long drive is skewed.
    The park is open from 9am-11pm so I think that would be more than enough time, but I am also concerned that it may mean that Thursday is in fact considered part of Memorial Day weekend.
    I called today and made reservations for a character lunch IF we decide to go. We have to rent a car anyway so we can always wait and see how we (and the girls) feel after the flight, I guess.
    It definitely would not be the time I would have chosen to go if I were planning a Disney trip, but I feel badly being so close and not going, especially since it will probably be our only opportunity for a couple of years at least.
    Alicia

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Long drives are one thing. Long drives AND spending all day in the Magic Kingdom is really something else yet again LOL!! You'll see more meltdowns per capita in the MK than almost anywhere else on the planet. The degree of sensory overload just really has to be seen to be appreciated.

Your kids are also still pretty young for WDW. While I do think that WDW can be enjoyed by kids of all ages, I think the "prime" age for enjoying and believing in the magic is probably 4 or 5.

That Thursday will definitely be part of the "weekend". A lot of kids are already out of school for summer at that point so its definitely a popular time at WDW.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

[quote=egoldber] You'll see more meltdowns per capita in the MK than almost anywhere else on the planet.

[quote]

This made me LOL!
    I agree with you on the age thing. We have never gone on an "official" Disney trip because I thought they were a little young- DD1 doesn't know most of the characters and I think even a lot of the kiddie rides would be scary. That's sort of why I started thinking about a day trip, because a full day for them would be something like: Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Lunch with characters, Dumbo, home.
    Or something like that. If the crowds are going to be unbearable, though, we might just skip it and go to the beach instead.
    Alicia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast