Default What are your favorite non-plastic bottles???

Sigg? Kleen Kanteen??? Please share!!!!

Thank you!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I"m curious too! I've been meaning to order 3 - one for each, but haven't done it yet. Maybe. This. Week.

I'm assuming you mean "bottles" as in cups/water bottles. I posted this same question in the past and it seemed that most preferred the KK over the Sigg. I haven't tried either, but we do have the new Foogo by Thermos. We have 2 straw cups and I have been very pleased with them - DD really likes them as well. They also have a sippy cup, but we haven't tried it since DD doesn't like sippies all that much.

http://www.thermos.com/SubCategories...og&SubMenuID=0

Got ours at BRU and used a 15% off BRU coupon.

HTH.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Okay, a quick run-down:

Sigg: Love the active spout for myself and I use a 1L Sigg in one of their neoprene sleeves. Works great and I don't have to worry about it breaking/denting (as much). I drink only water with ACV out of it, though. The only negative is that the neck is fairly narrow so unless you have the right kind of brush, it can be difficult to clean. Also, you can't easily add ice cubes (though I don't drink iced drinks). The kid's spout works pretty well for an older toddler who knows how to open and close it so it doesn't leak if it gets knocked over. My younger DD can use it as well for meals, but I don't like her carrying it around because she doesn't know how to close it. She can drink out of my active bottle top with help (I just press down on the cap) while my older toddler can drink out of it with no problems. All caps come apart so are easy to clean.

Klean Kanteen: Love this bottle as well, especially with the wider neck. My older one loves iced water, so I actually prefer this bottle for her. She uses the regular sports top at night and just leaves it open (without pushing down). However, the sports top has a tendency to squeak, although I've found ways to drink out of it without it squeaking (I crack it loose and drink with it pushed against the bottle--hard to describe, but you could probably figure it out if you had it). But the squeaking was one of the reasons I'm currently drinking out of my sigg. Both girls really like the sippy top though--it's basically an advent sippy top with an adapter. These (12 oz) bottles are their night time bottles because I don't have a sleeve that works around them to prevent them from breaking/denting. I've heard that the Built NY sippy totes are perfect for these, though.

Safe Sippy: These are fairly new but we have a bunch of them. We ordered 7 of them (well 4 of them, plus 3 for relatives) but when they arrived, I found that most of them had a problem with the threading so that they were difficult to close snugly--thus you got leaks out of the cap. However, I contacted their customer service (rather than the retailer through whom I purchased them) and they were absolutely fabulous. They said that I should test all 7 of the cups and explain to them which ones had problems and to what degree. I can actually use 3 of them with care--just make sure I close them snugly--but the other 4 are pretty leaky and difficult to close. I typed out my complete review and she said that they have a new design coming in May and that my choice was to get all 7 replaced now or I could wait until the new design came out and she would send me 7 then. She told me which colors and she took my address as well as my cousin's address and when they come out, she's sending them to me and my cousin separately. I have been very impressed by their CS and can't wait for the new and improved bottle. As for my review, other than the faulty threading--which they should fix in the new version, here's what I said to someone else who asked:

Positive thoughts:

I like the slimline shape of the bottle and interestingly, it seems to be smaller than it really is. In my mind, that's actually a positive--it's easier for my girls to hold onto (especially the younger) and it doesn't "feel" heavy. Also, it should easily fit in any bottle holder, which is a huge plus for me.

The spout is harder than I expected, but both girls have no problems drinking out of it and I tried it myself and it's not too difficult. If you have a straw chewer, I think these will hold up as well as any other spout.

The handles--I think they're about the perfect size for the girls, but I would guess someone with chubby fingers (though I can't imagine a child having hands/fingers that big/chubby) might have trouble using them. But the grip of the sleeve is nice. Also, the sleeve protects little hands from the cold if you put ice inside.

Stainless steel body--definitely a positive for me. I like that the opening is nice and large so I can easily fit ice cubes in it. My older daughter loves ice in her water, so this is a nice touch. It's also easier to clean than my siggs because most bottle brushes will fit. I do finally have a sigg brush coming, but I like the wider opening.

Valve--so far seems to work. If you shake really hard, you can get drops to come out, but otherwise, it seems to work well. But at the same time, it's not difficult to drink out of--I'm wondering if it's because of the spout shape?
    Overall, I'm a big fan of these.

I haven't tried any other non-plastic bottles, but others to consider are the Funtainer's and the Foogos.

I hope this helps!
    Eileen for Carmen

"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all." Thumper

I saw this the other day and meant to reply, but forgot. The pp have given a great run-down on the differences and pros/cons, I just want to share what I've learned in my manic search.

We have 3 Siggs, one with a Neoprene sleeve which is great. In general I am happy with them, but there are two cons as I see it:

1) within the first week, my Sigg fell off the bench at the gym and the lid smashed into at least 5 pieces. (The charcoal opaque cover that goes over the spout). I was not too pleased with this an now have to borrow a top from one of our other three, which means that they cannot all be in use at the same time. I would get another top but it took over 4 weeks to get the 3 Siggs from the Canadian supplier, so I am less than impressed with their service.

2) They don't leak if the spout is turned to the off/closed position. However, they do leak, even if the cover part is down and latched, if the spout is on the open position. I had the fun experience of having to put on wet underwear after my swim because of this.

Problem #2 I am attributing this to the learning curve of a new bottle, #1 is more troublesome. Fragile is not good with young children.

I have not purchased a Kleen Kanteen yet, but will probably do so in the next week or so because people seem to like them. I *think*, but can't remember at this point - that I chose Sigg because they could be used with hot beverages as well as cold, while KK cannot? Maybe someone else knows for sure. Siggs are aluminum, but coated on the inside so the aluminium is not a concern. They are, ironically, what Nalgene replaced when it came on the market! KK are stainless I think. BTW, you can still use the opaque, whiteish Nalgenes - they aren't Lexan. The company is apparently going to start making more of these again, and stop with the pretty Lexan ones. (I so loved my colored Nalgenes )

Foogos are supposed to be at MEC, but they are always out/on backorder. I am not aware of them being at other local stores (they do seem to have them at Target for US readers, but again, out of colors/sizes). I just don't have time to drive around looking for them, so I'll wait until MEC has them. They do have a polypropelyne Camelback that looks interesting though.

I had ordered 2 Safe Sippys from a Canadian online store. They were also on backorder because of the huge amount of orders, then the merchant cancelled all orders because many people were complaining about a threading problem (as referred to by Mudder17 above). According to the merchant, the Safe Sippy people are suppposed to be reengineering their cups, and this particular store will then be taking orders again after that happens. So, Safe Sippy is aware of the problem; and you might want to ask whether the stock you buy is old or new because of it - to save some shipping costs.

We also have two Avent Magic cups which are BPA free - DH emailed the company that manufactures the plastic lid because it was unclear what it was made of (not Avent, the larger plastics company entity). They shared their "trade secret" that their plasticisers are not BPA. We are fairly satisfied with them - they do not leak if held upside down, however, DS is able to unscrew the top by pushing against the add-on handle, so they do leak because of that!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a kids' SIGG sippy cup and not really thrilled with it. The best part is the way it looks/the visual appeal. I also like that it fits in my diaper bag easily and is very portable. But after a few months of use, it's dinged and chipped all over. My biggest gripe is it can't go in the dishwasher and because of that and because of the nature of the lining, isn't appropriate for juice or milk. I don't love the KK's but suspect they may be better - I'm still looking for a good alternative!

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we are happy with our foogos and kleen knateens. we never tried sigg because i am not comfortable with the idea of a lining inside -- stainless steel seems safer to me. the old siggs had a lining that was problematic for some reason (i can't remember what the problem was) so they recently changed the type of lining.

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    I
    Foogos are supposed to be at MEC, but they are always out/on backorder. I am not aware of them being at other local stores (they do seem to have them at Target for US readers, but again, out of colors/sizes). I just don't have time to drive around looking for them, so I'll wait until MEC has them. They do have a polypropelyne Camelback that looks interesting though.
    They have them at BRU - http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....S/2255957&sr=1