tlw is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Best backpack for Disney?

What type of backpack/bag do you take to the park? I've been reading lots about this on other boards.

My general philosophy on Life is "less is more" so I think I would prefer a slim-line type of backpack just for essentials. We'll go back to the hotel for a nap after lunch, so I don't need to carry around tons of stuff (or at least I don't think I do!) FWIW, it will just be DH, DS, and me.

Thanks for any recommendations!
    Lee

DS 12/05
    DD 7/09

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't like backpacks in Disney. You need to remove it on almost every ride, and they can get hot (if the weather is warm).

I prefer to have a diaper bag that I leave with the stroller with inexpensive essentials - extra diapers, wipes, cheerios, sippy cup, etc. Stuff that I can replace easily on the offchance that the bag walks away. And I carry a small messenger-type bag with valuables - wallet, tickets, camera, cell phone, etc. The messenger bag can stay on me for most rides, I just lift it out of the way of the safety bar/belt. Plus, I feel more secure having my valuables on my hip vs. on my back where someone can unzip the bag without me noticing.

Last trip, I used a small Lexie Barnes messenger-style bag. I've used the LE little tripper in the past, but it is kind of big for this purpose.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I always use a big fanny pack. With dd I used a stoller with the diaper bag hanging on it. Just make sure you take a stoller you don't mind getting stolen. I had a friend's $400 model get taken at Disney. Though I have never heard of a $50 graco getting stolen.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used a backpack in Disney and it worked well for my needs. It was sometimes a pain if I had to take it off or needed to get something quickly or while walking. But I don't do good with bags on my shoulder, even for short periods and I wanted to have certain things with me always, not left on stroller. So my bag was light and slim. I often wore it on the rides.

It was a bag similar to this in size and thickness:
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/27079425/c/146687.html

In it was my wallet, sunscreen, lipbalm, brush, 2 pullups, wipes, thin blanket (for changes), maybe a few other things. Basically any essential I would need if I ended up by myself with kid(s) w/o main stroller bag. We put more supplies, snacks, change of clothes, etc in the stroller bag which we left. It was also a backpack and my DH would carry it when needed.

HTH
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

colleenfs is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

People on the DisBoards rave about the Baggallini Messenger. I just got one, and I'm really happy with it. Can't wait to use it at WDW in October. It comes in a bunch of colors, I got the pink!

Oak is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I would look at a Gregory backpack. Choose the one that is appropriate for your size... can't go wrong with one!

July will be my second trip to Disney w/ 3 kids. I plan on using a Lands End backpack for most of the things I want to carry. This will stay w/ the stroller, but will be easy for an adult to lug around if we need to get on a bus/boat for transportation to/from parks. Then I plan on finding a nice lightweight small bag that I can wear across body for my camera, cell, lipstick, $, purell. Still working on finding this though! This way the important stuff can come on and off the rides w/ me w/out being a lot to carry!

HTH!

We used a crocs sling bag and that worked great - I like the sling style because you can wear it like a backpack but it comes off easily. Plus we got to put Disney jibbitz on it!
    Michelle