Default Healthy alternative to Slim Jims?

Yes, I know they're pretty much the worst thing in the world to eat, but Mommy eats them with string cheese and hey...it works for me as a low carb snack.

But anyway, my picky eater who usually only likes crunchy things and nothing slimy (aversion to various textures) asked to try my Slim Jim and much to my surprise, actually ate it! And ate one today. It's pretty much the first food he's added to his menu in a long long time (although we need to be better at offering too).

Does Trader Joe's or Whole Foods have something similar but better for you? Anywhere/anything else to try that's similar?

After that he asked to try my peanut butter sandwich, but before he even took a bite he pushed it away! Somehow he always knows the junk food and is willing to eat all of that, but anything halfway good for him he usually pushes away before even trying.
    Debbie

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

not too sure you will find a healthy alternative. That said, my 2 year old likes the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joes!

I was thinking maybe a jerky would work. Thanks for the reply...I wasn't sure if there was anything I wasn't thinking of.

Interestingly enough, DS's speech therapist said a lot of kids with sensory/oral issues like Slim Jims. I wonder why that is? There must be a market out there for healthier versions of all the junk food!
    Debbie

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G
    the Turkey Jerky from Trader Joes!
    I was thinking something along those lines. If you got a dehydrator you could make your own jerky. Not quite a slim jim, though . . . hmmmm.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs