Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default double stroller for small car and weak mom

I know there are hundreds of double stroller threads out there, but none seems to address these two issues: I have a small car (Mazda Protege) with a fairly small trunk and I'm not the strongest person in the world, so I can't imagine lifting more than 20 pounds of stroller. I also can't spend more than $200 on it, and that's still more than I've told DH I've tried to spend.

DD will be almost 3 when our baby comes along. Right now she insists on walking about 75% of the time. I'm afraid though that once a baby is being pushed she'll want to be in the stroller too. We have a Graco Snugride, which DD was able to use until 14 months, so I'm anticipating needing/wanting to use this with the stroller. We currently have a Jeep walking stroller, an Inglesina Trip (which I dislike right now) and the Kolcraft Universal Car Carrier frame.

I've looked at the Peg Aria double which seems way too wide. I also looked at the Joovy and DD said she really liked the jump seat, but it looks like the front seat really would encroach on her space sitting facing me. I'm not too worried about a big basket since I'd have a diaper bag with stroller clips on the handles - but does that also make for an uncomfortable ride for the jump seat? The Combi Saavy has been recommended, but since I can't see it in person I'm really concerned about the size being too big both folded and open.

Please help!!

bump

anyone? Do any options even exist??

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm kind of in the same boat except my DD is a little older. Weight and size are big issues for me, too. I have been thinking about getting an older model Aria twin new or used. Most of the people on Craigslist want more than a new (2007) model I can get online! The newest model with 60/40 split is just too expensive for me to justify right now. Do you think the Aria is too wide for your car or for when you are using it? I like my single Combi, but I don't love the tri-fold on the double.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

I tried my 3yo out on the original Joovy at babies r us (not the ultralight). I too had heard there wouldn't be alot of room for him, but he had plenty of room on the jump seat when the front seat wasn't reclined and he had enough room with a car seat clicked in (which means the front seat has to be reclined).

he's a big kid --40lb, 40 inches-- but still doesn't mind riding, so I imagine he's used to being a little squished under a canopy, etc. I haven't bought the Joovy yet b/c technnically he's a close to the jump seat size limits, but if I decide I need stroller where he has a seat, I likely will (especially if I can find a used one). The Joovy pushed better than I thought it would, and still seems like it'll be less unwieldy than a traditional double. And, I won't feel quite so odd pushing it with only one child in it. I did not try to fold/lift it though, so can't speak to how compact or heavy it is.

i think 3 years apart is good spacing between kids for lots of reasons, but NOT for stroller options.

good luck!

I didn't mind the Aria, though the side by side would take a lot of getting used to. I think that's about as big as I can fit in the car (I need to take measurements today and make sure). But I'm with you on the price. The only double on craigslist around here is the Graco Duo.

Really good to hear about the trifold on the Combi since I can't actually try it!

I should try the car seat clicked into the Joovy and see if that makes a difference to DD. I would hope BRU wouldn't mind us playing around with it a bit. DD is really petite so maybe that will help. The stroller weight (non ultralight) is listed as 24 lbs, so that's probably the max I can handle.

Thanks for your thoughts!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

check out the mac twin triumph. i think there was an older model (new) on ebay for about $170. it has good recline for both seats and folds small, 20lbs i think.

Thanks! The twin triumph was one of my top 5 choices until I learned that it won't work with our Graco carseat Oh well. I'm starting to think I should babywear for the first few months until I'm desperate. By then I might not be restricted by the car seat.

Not sure if I'm correct.. but I called a local baby shop asking about the twin triumph, and they told me it's heavy. I told them I thought it was only 20 something lbs, but they said it is way heavier. Said the packing box says it weighs 40 lbs, and cardboard can't weigh 18!!

Do you think a Peg Perego P3 w/ toddler step would work for you? I have one and love it. Not sure what seats it takes though.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesmom
    Not sure if I'm correct.. but I called a local baby shop asking about the twin triumph, and they told me it's heavy. I told them I thought it was only 20 something lbs, but they said it is way heavier. Said the packing box says it weighs 40 lbs, and cardboard can't weigh 18!!
    The Twin Techno weighs about that. The website says the TTriumph weighs 21.6. http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/index...107&Itemid=499

I'm not sure it meets your other criteria or not, though.

Sadly it comes back to the carseat compatibility.

Unless it's possible to put a Graco carseat into a Mac stroller? I'm fine if it doesn't "click" into place, I just want it to be jammed in enough so it won't shift around constantly (or heaven forbid fall off the stroller if we're just walking around).

I've just started noticing the P3 - I haven't looked into any details yet though beyond what I've read in some recent posts so I'll have to dig some more.

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast