Default Is this strange or what??

My DS will be 2 months old tomorrow. We started to bottle train him at 4 weeks...if I'm not home, I want him to be able to eat!! He took a bottle for DH but then started getting mad at the breast so we stopped.....My DH had to give a formula bottle one night as I couldn't feed him. A couple of days later, when we started bottle training again, he refused....for about 2 weeks, he would not take a bottle of formula or breast milk. Yesterday I was out and about and my husband tried a bottle again with breast milk and he took it like a champ. What's the deal?? Will he only take it if I'm not around? We tried that before and he wouldn't take it....anyway, we are going to continue to feed him a bottle of breast milk every night....hopefully all will go well!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There are a lot of babies that won't take the bottle if mom is around. It could simply be an age/ maturity thing too. Now he knows that if he is hungry and you aren't there then he needs to eat, regardless of the source.

My bf baby will take a bottle whenever needed but we have not "trained" him. I just go with the motto that if he gets hungry enough he will eat. My dh and our parents (babysitters) are patient and don't get flustered if he is resistant to the bottle initially. Just don't feel like if you don't offer a daily bottle he won't be willing to take one when needed. For a while we were doing about 1 bottle/ week but now it is much less (yay for going longer between meals ).

Beth

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD would only take the bottle if I was not in the house. Otherwise she wanted me. She would only take it from DH, we left her at 5 months with MIL and FIL at a hotel for a wedding and she went 7 hours without food. She ate like a champ when we got back to the hotel.

Don't worry about starving them, when they are hungry, they will eat.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.