Registries:
We registered before DC1 was adopted and updated as appropriate until the showers/welcome parties. Go ahead and enjoy that part of the wait.

Packing List:
I created my own list and continued to hone it down as we waited. First time around I packed far too much -- even shipped some unneeded stuff home during ICPC period. Second time I knew more what I'd really need and also had to allow room for all three of us plus new baby and gear.

I began by brainstorming, then moving things into categories (Transport, Feeding, Sleep, Health/Hygiene, Layette, Miscellaneous). I'll try to get a generic list together that you might use as a starting point if you'd like. Weather, location (rural/urban), age of child at placement, your own personal style/preferences will all affect your final list. Others here could certainly offer recommendations from different experiences and preferences.

Also, talk to other new moms (adoptive and bio) to see what they really needed in the first week or two. (Or at whatever age you will be adopting your baby -- birth, a few days, a few weeks, toddler -- you may not know this yet.)

Rocker/Recliner/Glider:
What really matters is not where in the house (or how) you cuddle, feed, sing to and read to your new bundle of joy, but just that you do ... and cherish that bonding time!

Distance:
We traveled about 1K miles. It's a trip we've made often as we have family in the vicinity and also enroute, so we generally stop and visit along the way. Additionally, there are no direct flights between here and there -- meaning transferring planes with newborn and all necessities.

Check your flight options out ASAP once you have a match and be sure to tell the airlines that this is an adoption flight; both for possible discounted fares and to be sure you have confirmation from them (in writing if possible) of what paperwork you'll need to have in hand to take the baby on the flight with you (especially if only one of you is going to be flying home with the baby -- there are rules re: air travel with a minor).

Our drive took much longer than usual with extra stops to feed, burp and change, but we did not mind at all! We are convenient to airports and have flown with and without kids many times. We just wanted to spend this time focused on our new baby and to have our new DC focused on us and not all the commotion of busy terminals, flights, etc. Also, I was leary of air travel during cold/flu season and had concerns about a newborn's ears with pressure changes. By several months of age, our first DC flew cross-country with us with no problems at all. He loved it. We have friends who flew home with their newborn without incident.

"Bumps" in the Journey:
We too had two major disappointments prior to our two adoptions. They were painful, but I am glad that, in the end, each of the birth mothers made the decision that was right for them -- and everyone involved!

Have you begun your portfolio/life-book for the agency to show birth families yet? I found it very hard to get started but once I did, really enjoyed it and am glad I have copies to share with our DCs as they grow!

Feel free to PM me if you like.