Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default easy additions

I recently discovered that Kraft sells a whole grain version of the boxed mac-and-cheese. I have started using that, but I cut down on the butter and use low-fat milk when preparing. Also, I add either cauliflower or carrots that have been cooked and pureed -- a trick I learned from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. The pureed cauliflower is undetectable and the carrots are nearly so because they are the same color as the cheese. I probably add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of veggies to the boxed mix and my son does not know the difference.

If you plan to make your own, you can add frozen squash puree so that you can keep the "orange/cheese" color. Saw this variation in a healthy cooking show.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are some healthier prepackaged ones, as well. Trader Joe's has one, and another, Hobson's Mill (I think that's the brand) has a whole wheat one. Not ideal - but not bad either. Abby likes both of them, although admittedly isn't a terribly picky eater.

Emily

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My very picky DD will eat the Hodgson's Mill one, but she likes whole wheat pasta in general. But honestly I don't think its really that much healthier. Pre-packaged is pre-packaged.

I would be very careful about using the hiding food tricks if you have a picky eater or a kid with food sensory issues. If I do something like that with my DD it will typically "ruin" a food for her so that she will never, ever eat it again. BTDT with yogurt. It used to be a staple until I tried to add some pureed fruit. That was over a year ago and she still won't eat yogurt anymore.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Default A few more thoughts about increasing nutrient value of M&C...

The book, Deceptively Delicious, has been a welcome addition to my kitchen for this very type of reason...it gives great suggestions on how to increase the nutrient value of foods by adding various vegetable purees, flax seed, etc. Since mac & cheese is orangish/yellow, you might try adding pureed butternut squash or sweet potato, both of which are ripe with Vitamin A, as well as a whole host of other good stuff. You could also add cauliflour puree, which might sound a bit strong, but its not at all! She has a recipe in her book for mac & cheese from scratch if you are feeling ambitious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2