s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Old pierced ear holes--would they ever close up?

I've been thinking lately that I really don't need or want the second piercings in my ear lobes any more. I've always worn earrings in them and I've had them since I was oh, like 12 or 13, so we're talking a couple decades here.

If I take the earrings out now, will the holes/marks ever disappear? I know the holes would close over time, but if there's always going to be noticeable pierce marks I figure I may as well just leave the earrings in. Anyone BTDT? TIA!
    Jen

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a second hole in my left ear only....yeah, it was trendy back in the day. I haven't worn anything in it in well over five years. Out of curiosity I tried to get an earring in it a month or so ago....it went in! I was shocked. It was tight but it went in. I don't plan to start wearing it anymore though. Honestly you can see the hole but I really never think anything of it. It's such a small thing & really just isn't a concern of mine. I suppose someday it'll close up but who knows.
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I took out my second holes about 3.5 year ago, and I can't get an earring post in all the way any longer. It still looks like I have the piercings, though - little ear dimples, I guess.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

I haven't worn earrings in my second holes for at least 8 years and there is still a dimple. My holes never completely closed.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

While it still looks like I have two holes in each ear, looks are deceiving.... All of my earring holes have closed and had to be reopened whenever I don't wear earrings for a year or so. Ouch!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My ears never close up. I can go for a year without and still be able to put them in. Though, having my ears pierced with a needle at 1 mo old might have something to do with it. But all my friends had their holes close up eventually.
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

cmo is online now Gold level (500+ posts)

It has been close to 20 years since I had any earrings in my holes. The holes are still slightly visible; I don't know if I could actually get anything in them. My guess is that I could, since they were pierced and used for about 10 years prior to that.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hadn't worn earrings in my 2nd holes in over 10 years and thought they had closed (though you can still see where the hole is if you look). A few weeks ago, I put in my everyday studs and went about my day (not looking in the mirror while I did it). I was in the car and caught a glimps of myself and on one side I had put the earring in the 2nd hole and never noticed!! So, apparently mine have never closed.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010