sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default also new (sort of!) and a question

Thought I should do an official introduction to the adoption forum, although I've posted here. I've been semi-active on the rest of the boards, we have a biological DS age 4. We just had our homestudy visit for domestic adoption for #2, we're very excited! We probably have another two months or so till we're officially waiting, we have to get approved and then make our book to show the expectant parents.

Any good kid's books on adoption? It would be particularly good if there was one explaining to a bio kid about adoption, because when I first started explaining adoption to DS he was a little concerned that he would be going to another family! We have cleared that up, but I think a book would be helpful.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure we'll have more questions soon.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I can't really recommend any books for bio kids, as both of mine were adopted. But you might want to check out www.tapestrybooks.com They sell only adoption-related books. If nothing else, get some ides from the site and get the books from your local library to review before buying. I still haven't found a "perfect" book for us, honestly, but we have several that are close enough.

Just wanted to say a quick welcome! I'm trying to think of a book to meet your specific request, but all I can think of right now is the one by "Mr. Rogers" which is dated, but still good. It's not really your typical adoption book, but I like that it covers various types of adoptive families. I haven't read it in a while and should go back and review before commenting much further on it. His sister was adopted and that's where he got the idea for this book. (Thus, a bio and adopted child in his family is mentioned.) I like to say that our DCs "were" adopted and "are" siblings -- rather than they are each adopted. Sometimes I slip, but it seems more unifying to me and I try to express this attitude.

The recommendation to check out Tapestry Books is an excellent one! Lot's of variety and ideas there.

We like to have adoption books covering various types of adoptions here, so that "adoptions" are recognized as just one way God brings families together. One of our kids current favorites is really about an international adoption, but since we traveled so far to get them (domestically) and they were born in a warm climate with lots of flowers and palm trees like the place in the book, they seem to relate it to their own story (at least our oldest does at this point). That book is called "Over the Moon". We have a variety of others too.

HTH and again, Welcome!

I don't have any suggestions for your particular section but two of the kid type adoption books we bought are:

Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born~ Jamie Lee Curtis
    Rosie's Family~ An Adoption Story -Lori Rosove

We also have these on our list to buy:

The Day We Met You- Phoebe Koehler
    Over The Moon: An Adoption Tale- Karen Katz

I also have a whole list of adoption and adoption parenting books if you're interested.

just wanted to second the second the suggestion for

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by J. L. Curtis

Great book and every adoptive family should have it. Our kids like it too and it comes in both loarge hardback and in small board book formats.

[QUOTE=sadie427]Any good kid's books on adoption? It would be particularly good if there was one explaining to a bio kid about adoption, because when I first started explaining adoption to DS he was a little concerned that he would be going to another family! We have cleared that up, but I think a book would be helpful.
    QUOTE]

Just thought of this idea -- not an adoption book for your first DC, but one we (and many parents) use(d) in preparing our 1st DC for the 2nd:

I'm A Big Brother by Joanna Cole (there's a big sister version too)

This may help to get him excited about what is to come and get a more tangible/positive idea of what to expect and that he's important to this new baby and the whole family too!

HTH!