Default Can I use Avent nipples on BPA free bottles?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, so greetings to all! I've read some of the back posts - what a great community.

A little bit about me: I am looking forward to being a first time mommy soon. DH and I have been trying to start a family for a long time. We went through three extremely painful years of infertility treatments and two miscarriages. Now, (if all goes well) we are joyfully hoping to adopt our baby next month! At long last! I am so excited.
    (And - wow - I think that's the most emoticons I've ever used in one paragraph!)

Now, on to the subject of this post. I have been following the BPA-free stories in the news. As a first time mommy-to-be, I feel kind of clueless! I would like to use the Avent nipples, but without a "drop in" system. Here are a couple of questions I have:

1. Can I use Avent nipples on another brand of BPA-free bottles without them leaking?
    2. For the parents who use glass bottles, won't they shatter if the child tosses them out of their crib/highchair/stroller?
    3. Are the Dr. Browns bottles as difficult to clean as I have heard? And, gee whiz, how come they are sooo expensive?

I would love to hear your thoughts about what BPA-free solutions you have discovered. I'm looking for a good system where the nipples don't collapse and the gas bubbles vent, but that is also affordable and durable.

Also, if this thread has already been covered and I have missed it, could someone direct me to those posts?

Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Avent has a drop-in system that works great if you really want to use their nipples. It's called Avent Tempo. I only had 4 bottles and nipples for DD and I had to buy the liners. It works out great!
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

you can use avent nipples w/ avent sippy cups. (just replace the sippy spout w/ the nipple.) avent sippy cups are bpa free.

hth

First off, congratulations on your adoption going through - you must be so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by what8wasfor
    1. Can I use Avent nipples on another brand of BPA-free bottles without them leaking?
    You can use Avent nipples on Gerber Gentleflow bottles. We had initially thought they'd work on Green to Grow as well, but they don't. The pp is right the Avent bottle nipples work on the Magic Cup, which is BPA free, as well.

2. For the parents who use glass bottles, won't they shatter if the child tosses them out of their crib/highchair/stroller?
    We use Evenflo glass bottles (with Medela nipples) and have only had one break due to an existing flaw. They're pretty tough and I've banged/dropped a few with no issues. They're also super cheap. I don't know about children tossing them because I don't let DS hold them on his own. We also use Medela bottles, but he doesn't get the angle right so he's still being fed.

3. Are the Dr. Browns bottles as difficult to clean as I have heard? And, gee whiz, how come they are sooo expensive?
    Never used Dr. Brown's, so no advice there.

If you do a search in the Kid Food thread under "BPA", "Bottles" or various brands you should come up with quite a few threads discussing these issues.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton