Default BPA-free bottles?

Hello all,

I will be a 1st time mom in June, and I was hoping to get some guidance here about BPA free bottles. What BPA-free bottles have you used and liked?

- Can we use the Avent nipples on the Born Free wide bottles? Will they leak?

- What about the Dr. Brown's polypropelyne bottles? It seems like a big investment. Are they worth it?

- We are adopting, and so at least initially, we will be using formula. I've heard that formula can be clumpy and hard to clean. Is this a reason to avoid one type of bottle over another?

- What about the much less expensive Evenflo BPA-free bottles? Can I use them with another nipple that has a better venting system?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

First of all, Congratulations! You can search this board and see TONs of information. My first advice would be to have a stock of a few different kinds of bottles because you don't know what the baby will like. DS was not picky, but had very bad reflux so we ended up using the Dr. Brown's and loved them (since the reflux was under control after that) even though now I find out they were the BPA kind and I have to toss them all and restock with the poly version (when I can find them) before baby #2. Another story...

The extra parts with Dr. Brown's were a bit of a pain, but I used a dishwasher basket (and I hear Dr. Brown has their own now) that helped. If the water wasn't cold when mixed I found little issue with clumps.

clb is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Congratulations to you!
    I started out with the Dr Brown's because of the venting system. After the last info I read, I got nervous and switched to BornFree but using the Dr Brown's wide neck nipples. I read that either here or on a blog and it works fine- no leaks. The Dr Brown's polypropelyne still weren't out then but on bru the price is the same as the regular ones.
    IMO, the wide neck are easier to clean vs standard size bottles. I am using a sassy brush to clean the bornfrees. I used to use the db brushes, but I always seemed to scratch the bottles and then would end up replacing the bottles. In that respect alone, the bpa free are worth the price.
    Last edited by clb; 11-11-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvs195
    First of all, Congratulations! You can search this board and see TONs of information. My first advice would be to have a stock of a few different kinds of bottles because you don't know what the baby will like. DS was not picky, but had very bad reflux so we ended up using the Dr. Brown's and loved them (since the reflux was under control after that) even though now I find out they were the BPA kind and I have to toss them all and restock with the poly version (when I can find them) before baby #2. Another story...

The extra parts with Dr. Brown's were a bit of a pain, but I used a dishwasher basket (and I hear Dr. Brown has their own now) that helped. If the water wasn't cold when mixed I found little issue with clumps.
    This is us verbatim. Reflux, Dr Browns, no more reflux, baby#2 gets new ones without BPA (didn't knwo anything about BPA 2 1/2 yrs ago), wash it all in a dishwasher and works like a champ. We found it easier to mix the formula with the solid lids and then put the tube and nipple on the bottle after it was all shook up.

michlyn is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Congrats on your upcoming new addition!

Not sure on the Avent/Born free bottles. But the Dr. Brown's pp bottles are really hard to find. They are largely the same price as their polycarbonate bottles but places like amazon are price gouging and requiring exorbitant prices which is a shame

I love the dr. brown's venting system - I already had the polycarb bottles from 3 years ago, so now I use the vent/nipple/collar on the evenflow glass bottles and the Gerber clearview bottles. The only issue is that the resvoir / vent straw is a bit longer so it needs to be trimmed to fit these bottles. Some people have issues with leaking when mixing Dr. browns parts on the evenflo bottles but i find if you tighten the collar enough it's not an issue. My main issue with the evenflo is that it is temperature sensitive. I make bottles ahead of time and put in fridge and when I try to warm up, the bottle cracks due to extreme temp differences. It does warn you of this on the bottle however.

We also tried the playtex drop ins but buying the liners was getting to be a drag, and one of my twins was not liking the softer nipple.

Re: the clumping of formula, I haven't had a problem cleaning either the evenflo glass or the gerber clearview either by hand or by dishwasher. The hotwater helps dissolve formula.
    Mom to 3 miracles

We actually use Evenflo glass with the Evenflo comfi select nipples. We haven't had any issues. Any of the narrow neck nipples work with the bottles.