Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    I think he's really growing right now, so just cutting that cold turkey doesn't sit well with me.

See, if you keep supplementing because he's growing, your supply won't increase as it needs to to keep up with his growth. That is how supplementing really backfires for BFg. If you want to EBF, you really need to ride out the 3days of hell otherwise known as a growth spurt.

You need to learn to trust that your body will respond to his needs.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama
    Sounds like Dr. Jack Newman's nipple cream. It's described here under #2 (All Purpose Nipple Ointment).

Yeah, it was similar. IIRC, the antibiotic was different -- she used Bactroban I think. Same idea though.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

See, if you keep supplementing because he's growing, your supply won't increase as it needs to to keep up with his growth. That is how supplementing really backfires for BFg. If you want to EBF, you really need to ride out the 3days of hell otherwise known as a growth spurt.

You can do this. You ARE doing this!!! But you need to trust your body to make what he needs. As long as he is gaining and having wet and dirty diapers he doesn't need the bottle.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    things I've noticed today - he doesn't stick his chin/bottom lip out really well. I'm trying to work on that with him. When he does, the pain is a LOT better.
    That's great that you know this!! Use a finger to coax the bottom lip out(to a pout). He'll eventually learn to do it on his own. It took two and four weeks respectively for my dc's.

And, to Melissa's post. It's hard to trust babe is getting enough. Hearing him swallow, feeling the letdown, wet dipes, and weight gain are infinitely more important signs to watch for than giving formula "jic".

Hang in there! You're doing a good thing!
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just agreeing with everyone else on the supplements. How much is he getting in supplements per day, and how much of the supplement is EBM?

Whatever portion of it is EBM, you can ditch right away, because if you are pumping it, your body is making it and he does not need to get it from a bottle.

On the fungus - one does of AB is enough to do it. More likely, though is that broken skin from a bad latch would give it an opportunity to grow. I did not have ANY antibiotics with any of my births and still had thrush within 24-48 hours due to the broken skin and constant moisture.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't wait to see an LC if you think the latch is to blame.

Can you call one of the NICU LCs and see if they can do a sneak peek at his latch for you? Or does the hospital have a breastfeeding support group? I found that really, really, really helpful because I got to do free weight checks when I was concerned about Amy's weight gain LOL!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    Or does the hospital have a breastfeeding support group? I found that really, really, really helpful because I got to do free weight checks when I was concerned about Amy's weight gain LOL!
    My hospital's breastfeeding support group was the best thing I ever did for this reason, and because I just got to see other real, in-the-flesh new moms going through the exact same thing-- we were all there with crying newborns, tired, hungry, etc., and our hospital's head LC ran the group. It was great.

As an aside, as someone else mentioned, as long as he's making wet and dirty diapers and not losing, I wouldn't get too caught up in exactly how much weight he's gaining. DD was 7 lbs., 7 oz. at birth, was 6 lb., 12 oz. when we left the hospital, lost a bit more, and was not back at her birth weight until between 5 and 6 weeks. That whole "regain in two weeks thing" was not a concern for my ped. at all, as long as she was otherwise healthy.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray

You need to learn to trust that your body will respond to his needs.
    If you are too afraid to go cold turkey, maybe try cutting back to a half oz for a few days, and just make sure you are pumping enough to make up for what you supplement, so that your body is feeling the need.

The Soothies I linked to aren't made by Playtex, and according to their FAQ...
    "What's in Soothies?
    Soothies® are composed of glycerin, water, and polyacrylamide all of which are nontoxic to mother and baby. "

I think they run about $10 or $11- I don't know if that's any less than the Medela ones. If they're working for you, just keep telling yourself it's cheaper than formula. In a few weeks, you'll be saving tons.

It sounds like things are really starting to improve though, so congrats on the progress! Keep after the LLL people, and hopefully when the latch issues are corrected, it will totally end the problems.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just wanted to chime in to give you support - the first few weeks are nuts. Cut yourself some slack and try to just let go of the things that don't amtter and focus on the things that do matter. I had BF problems with DD and I found a lot of the videos on this ste to be helpful - http://www.beyondbirth.ca/ContentPag...Downloads.html

It is the site for Dr. Jack Newman and he shows how to acheive a better latch - don't mind the fact that this middle aged man is manipulating a lot of breasts, LOL.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by boolady
    As an aside, as someone else mentioned, as long as he's making wet and dirty diapers and not losing, I wouldn't get too caught up in exactly how much weight he's gaining. DD was 7 lbs., 7 oz. at birth, was 6 lb., 12 oz. when we left the hospital, lost a bit more, and was not back at her birth weight until between 5 and 6 weeks. That whole "regain in two weeks thing" was not a concern for my ped. at all, as long as she was otherwise healthy.
    Ditto to this. DD was 7lbs 6 oz at birth, and 6lbs 15 oz when we went home. She didn't regain her birth weight until at least 4 weeks (it's all a little hazy right now). I just know my ped was fine with it. I had major problems with BF when ds was a newborn so I went into the newborn stage with dd already worried about it working out. Her weight gain has been slow, but has averaged on the low end of normal, 1/2 oz a day. That seems to just be her pattern.

I really agree with the pps that you need to trust that you are making enough milk and cut the supplements in order to let your milk supply catch up with Parker's needs. I've gotten into a bit of a pickle with dd on this lately since she hit the 4 month distracted nursing stage combined with a growth spurt. Because I am back at work she's been eating a TON while I am at work and not nursing as well in the evenings so I am having to pump more often to compensate. I had started giving her a few ounces every night when it seemed she wasn't satisfied and that habit has been complicating matters. For the most part I am still pumping enough, but the sitter has had to use frozen milk a few times in the last 2 weeks.

big hugs to you!!
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast