Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I agree with jtsmom that the soothies you have been looking at aren't the ones that we are suggesting. They are not made by playtex and come in a purple package (I found them at Wal-Mart or BRU). You can also cut them in half or even quarters if you need to. The great thing that I discovered was to refrigerate them. I would buy two packages, and then after each feeding would rotate and put new cold ones on. It really helped with the pain. If you're having any shooting pains, I would agree that you may want to check on the thrush. Keep hanging in there!
    busy mama whose belongs to. . .
    little guy 11/04
    big guy 9/06
    third time's the pink charm 12/08

I convert aplix diapers to snaps! PM for more info!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hugs. We did the supplementing and pumping thing for the first 2 months. The 2nd month I gradually got more and more bfing in. For the exact same reason to--bilirubin too high and even LC recommended supplementation. It's a long hard road, but so worth it when you finally get back to full bfing. I, however, didn't have the cracked nipples or pain that you had. So, I can only imagine how tortorus it sounds. You are doing your very best, it will get better.

I agree with pp's about not limiting time on each side (unless it's super painful), ditching the shields as soon as you are able, and trying to cut back on the supplements. Don't judge your supply by how much you pump. Your baby will do a much better job at extracting milk. For the first couple days when I did no formula and all bfing, DS nursed all the time, I mean like 3 hour sessions, so we just laid there and nursed. He did have one pinkish/reddish diaper (brick dust), but then was back to normal. We're all here for you, you're doing great!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Just want to give my two cents on the nipple shields... I know they're not the best soln but if the baby is latching on well, it's fine to use it until you heal up. DD latched well and sucked well, and by day 3 after birth I was bleeding. The nipple shield provided some welcome relief!

Hang in there, it is tough... but around the 6-8 week mark, I felt like I'd been doing this (bf'g) forever... just like everyone said. the hard part was that i didn't ever think i could get to 6 wks...

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i had VERY similar issues.. and just gave birth 3 weeks ago. my milk didn't come in until 10-14 days. prior to that, i totally had the sore nipples and tried to get her to take the breast each time. but she was soo hungry and was losing too much weight. so i supplemented and even tried SNS but for those first 2 weeks, pumping 15 minutes ever 2-3 hours and giving her bottles of breastmilk and formula worked out best. it gave my nipples time to heal and whenever i could, i put her to breast first.

introducing the bottle totally gave her nipple confusion so i thought i had to quit breastfeeding for good... but i kept trying each time. if you put ice on your nipples prior to, it helps with nipple confusion. i found that advice in Nursing Mother's Companion

now, we mostly breastfeed or give bottles of breastmilk since my milk supply is up. i know everyone tells you not to feel guilty.. but i totally know what you mean about feeling guilty anyway!! try not to and if you still want to breastfeed just keep trying but give your baby what they need: love and food!

I don't have much time...as Parker is a non-stop eating machine! We are still supplementing and I'm pumping at least once a day so he can have SOME EBM in each bottle.

My supply is good, but he's growing faster than I can keep up. He literally can breastfeed for a hour + on each side, then eat an ounce of formula, sleep for 30 minutes and be hungry again!

I'm not sure how long I can keep this up without any sleep. It jsut seems that my poor boobs can't make enough to keep up with him...no matter how long he nurses.

But he's growing. And he's eating. And I'm trying really hard to remember that ANY amount of breastmilk is better than none. I guess I'm going to have to face the facts that Parker will never be exclusively breast fed. And I'm coming to terms with that.

Seriously though...the kid would nurse 24/7 and still be hungry. I guess this is a bad omen on things to come! My fridge will NEVER have food in it!

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    I don't have much time...as Parker is a non-stop eating machine! We are still supplementing and I'm pumping at least once a day so he can have SOME EBM in each bottle.

My supply is good, but he's growing faster than I can keep up. He literally can breastfeed for a hour + on each side, then eat an ounce of formula, sleep for 30 minutes and be hungry again!

I'm not sure how long I can keep this up without any sleep. It jsut seems that my poor boobs can't make enough to keep up with him...no matter how long he nurses.

But he's growing. And he's eating. And I'm trying really hard to remember that ANY amount of breastmilk is better than none. I guess I'm going to have to face the facts that Parker will never be exclusively breast fed. And I'm coming to terms with that.

Seriously though...the kid would nurse 24/7 and still be hungry. I guess this is a bad omen on things to come! My fridge will NEVER have food in it!
    I've been thinking about you!!!

You are making enough!! He's growing and happy, right? Your milk is doing that!

BF babies nurse like this because your milk is absorbed so well that they need to eat more often. It is NOT that you're not making enough. If he's nursing start time to start time 2 hours or less, he's right on track. He won't always nurse so frequently.

I implore you to trust that he's getting enough. Weigh him weekly if it helps you feel better. I did that with DD. Try skipping a day of supplementing (or two) and just nurse more.

He might also be having a growth spurt which takes a couple of days of non-stop nursing to bring your supply up. If he demands it, your body will supply it. You're doing great.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy
    I've been thinking about you!!!

You are making enough!! He's growing and happy, right? Your milk is doing that!

BF babies nurse like this because your milk is absorbed so well that they need to eat more often. It is NOT that you're not making enough. If he's nursing start time to start time 2 hours or less, he's right on track. He won't always nurse so frequently.

I implore you to trust that he's getting enough. Weigh him weekly if it helps you feel better. I did that with DD. Try skipping a day of supplementing (or two) and just nurse more.

He might also be having a growth spurt which takes a couple of days of non-stop nursing to bring your supply up. If he demands it, your body will supply it. You're doing great.

Some babies just like to suck. Taking a bottle after nursing is NOT a sign of hunger. He will get more efficient. It will get better.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Another thing just in case: Tell anyone who hasn't nursed a baby not to give you advice!!

Some of the things you've written sound like the running monologue my mom/ext. family ran both my kids first year! It's so not helpful and comes from a place of ignorance on the subject.

More hugs!
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74

One way to get some sleep is to latch him on while you are laying down. Have you tried that yet? It's the only way i could BF my twins who were nursing 4-5 times per night- each of them!! I would lay down on a bed with no blankets or pillows near them, lay next to them, and latch them on (one at a time). Then I fell alseep while one was nursing. And they would just stop nursing and fall asleep when they were done. That's one thing to try- if you are not afraid of rolling over on him (I'm a light sleeper around my babies so I wasn't concerned about this).

Oh, and I had to supplement my twins at first too but at some point I just stopped to see how they would do on just my milk supply and they did great!!! You are doing so well. It does get easier. You'll be a pro in no time!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

to all of the posts above mine.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast