urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default do i really need a breast pump... just in case?

with dd#1 i had the avent isis manual pump and hated using it. is there any reason that i should have one - just in case?

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'm a new mom and was just wondering the same thing. prior to my due date, i bought the medela advanced pump (double electric)... and seriously, it has been a life saver. i wasn't lucky with the milk supply so we had to do bottles, then dd had nipple confusion but i still wanted to bf... so the pump helped us out immensely to bring in my supply and to feed her what i could from a bottle.

now, 3 weeks into it, i use it for convenience. if i'm going to be out, i pump and prepare a bottle.. or, if my husband is going to feed her so i can sleep. i don't know how other moms do it without one!

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a borrowed pump for #1 and #2 that was at least 6 years old. For #3, if I feel I need one, I'm going to rent one from the hospital and then play it by ear to see how long to keep the rental or then return the rental and buy something else. I plan to use the hospital lc's to chat about all the options when we get to that point.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I had access to a Lactina both times, and both times it was a life saver. I used it to give the girl(s) a break to heal some trauma. It did its job to maintain supply when I needed it, and I only use it to pump an occasional bottle for Daddy/daughter time now.

If you don't want to buy a pump, renting something from the hospital if you need it may meet your needs.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do you still have the Isis? If so, I would say that is enough for the immediate postpartum. Just after the baby is born, there are really only two scenarios where you need to pump. The first is engorgement - the Isis is plenty to take care of that. The second would be that you need to feed EBM to the baby. In that case, you will need a really good double electric pump. In the first few weeks these are the most likely scenarios.

Scout out ahead where you can rent a pump. Most hospitals have them as do some pharmacies. If you know ahead of time where to get them, you can send someone after one if you need it. Also, look into where to buy - Hackley Medical has good prices for one and there are several other internet ones. They can usually get you one within a week at a good price. If you need to do major pumping, rent one for a month and then buy one if it looks like you need it long term.

I have rented pumps with all three babies, but none would ever take a bottle - it was mainly to let some damage heal while keeping up supply.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Supply problems here also, and we bought it online a few days after #1 was born. It sure was great to have my own as I ended up having to do a lot of pumping over time. I did end up renting a Medela Classic, but I got better results (I think) with the PISA.

Seems like friends who have waited, borrowed, not wanted to spend the money have encountered one problem or another that made them stop BFing when having their own pump could've saved them. SIL got one a PIS for her first in 1999 and still takes it on roadtrips just in case with her 3rd nursing child.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

thanks everyone for your advice. i'll dig out the isis... just in case and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom
    Do you still have the Isis? If so, I would say that is enough for the immediate postpartum. Just after the baby is born, there are really only two scenarios where you need to pump. The first is engorgement - the Isis is plenty to take care of that.