lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question breast feeding 10mt. old question

My 10mt. old son wants to breast feed and wont take liquid any other way. My problem is I wanted to breast feed till 1 year but he's killing me. He has 7 teeth. I'm not sure if he's bitting or sucking to hard. I thought you couldn't bite when sucking properly. I feel he is on correct. I would love for him to get some liquid from the cup. But he refuses no matter what cup. But he's really really hurting me. What should I do? Not sure how I can keep nursing. But he has to drink it been around 100 degress where I live. If you can give any advise Please?
    Last edited by lorinick; 06-09-2008 at 03:28 PM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Has it just recently become painful or has it been this way for more than a few days? Has AF returned? My DD is also 10mos and still BF and has 6 teeth. I notice nipple pain for a few days prior to ovulation.

Is his latch deep? I was told a wide mouth should prevent biting.

As for a cup, DD just recently started to drink water from a nuby sippy cup. We've also used the take and toss sippy and the nuby straw cup. The nuby straw cup is nice because it's no spill...baby has to bite the soft straw to get liquid out. We have also put a small amount (less than 1oz) in a regular cup and she'll take sips that way.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22
    Has it just recently become painful or has it been this way for more than a few days? Has AF returned? My DD is also 10mos and still BF and has 6 teeth. I notice nipple pain for a few days prior to ovulation.

Is his latch deep? I was told a wide mouth should prevent biting.

As for a cup, DD just recently started to drink water from a nuby sippy cup. We've also used the take and toss sippy and the nuby straw cup. The nuby straw cup is nice because it's no spill...baby has to bite the soft straw to get liquid out. We have also put a small amount (less than 1oz) in a regular cup and she'll take sips that way.
    It's been painful the last few days and last mt. too. I can't remember when. I can't feel him bitting but it just hurts as soon as he latches and it contuines the whole feeding. He will drink from a regular too. But I really want to have him use a sippy cup. I have a Nuby cup, but didn't buy the straw one. I thouht it may leak. Do you think it works well. I'm going to try to see if I can get him to latch wide. I just wish he wanted to use the any sippy may the straw will do the trick. Thanks I'll let you know.

Is it possible that you or he or both have thrush? I was having zero problems at all until around 13 months, it started hurting pretty badly to nurse. DS seemed to be latched on fine and wasn't biting. I did some reading on kellymom and realized that my symptoms matched most of those for thrush, so I got some gentian violet and treated myself and DS. The pain cleared up within a week or so.

Just a thought!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama
    Is it possible that you or he or both have thrush? I was having zero problems at all until around 13 months, it started hurting pretty badly to nurse. DS seemed to be latched on fine and wasn't biting. I did some reading on kellymom and realized that my symptoms matched most of those for thrush, so I got some gentian violet and treated myself and DS. The pain cleared up within a week or so.

Just a thought!
    Thanks I'll check to see what the symptoms are. I've never had thrush before so I don't know. But my nipples are sore to even touch. But he won't drink liquid any other way. Going crazy.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Look into thrush - Anyone been on antibiotics lately? Had any procedures where you were exposed to quite a bit of antibacterial stuff (IUD insertion for example)? Did he bite you or otherwise break the skin? All of these can give the yeast an opportunity.

Some other thoughts... They can't "bite" if they are sucking because the tongue covers the lower teeth. However, the strong suction, if they aren't open wide enough or taking it deep enough, can pull your skin against the top teeth. I almost always have a little row of dents on my nipple from his top teeth. This is not normally painful throughout the feeding, but mostly toward the end.

Pay attention to his latch and don't be afraid to take him off to relatch if he isn't opening wide. At that age, modelling "open wide" can really help.

As far as other liquids - try different cups, straw cups, etc. One thing my boys loved was getting water from a straw. At restaurants I would get about an inch of water in the bottom of a straw by putting my finger on the top, put it in their mouth and release it. They thought that was the best game.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)