Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone with child who will not use sippy cup?

My DS 10mts old on the 2nd refuses to drink from a sippy cup. Anyone else had this problem? I've tryed different cups. Didn't help! Any suggestions or feedback would be great.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went straight to straw cups. I really like the Take n' Toss cups. They are meant to be semi-disposable but last forever.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We used straw cups for outings (and soups) but other than that pretty much skipped sippys in favor of regular cups at home (he started this around 12 months). He had some spills but learned quickly. He just plain never wanted a cup unlike the ones my husband and I used, even before he was 1. What about a little water bottle with a sport top? We have a little stainless one for him and that was a hit, since it looks like our water bottles.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DD never used a sippy cup, despite trying multiple sizes/brands. Like the PP, DD wanted to use a cup like the ones that DH and I used.

She began using a regular open cup just before her 1st birthday. We used light teacups, thermos lid cups, and small juice tumblers. We began filling them with small amounts of water, and increased the amount of water/milk/etc. gradually until she could handle it herself without difficulty.

We also use the take n toss cups (the ones with straws), but use them without the straws and lids.

HTH

mom to one girl, 9.5 years old
    and one boy, 5 years old

I stopped the sippies when DS turned a year too. It's so much easier not to worry about finding/washing pieces to them. We have occasional spills but nothing unbearable.

For outings I haven't bitten the bullet on reusable bottles so we do Zephyrhills water bottles. Dc's do fine with those too.
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 06-10-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy
    I stopped the sippies when DS turned a year too. It's so much easier not to worry about finding/washing pieces to them. We have occasional spills but nothing unbearable.

For outings I haven't bitten the bullet on reusable bottles so we do Zephyrhills bottles. Dc's do fine with those too.
    What are Zephyrhills bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by lorinick
    What are Zephyrhills bottles?
    Whoops. Forgot to add in the "water". They're just sposie water bottles. I'll edit.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

clb is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I am having the same issue with 8mo DC. I started giving him water in sippy cups at 6mo. He will wet his mouth but that is it. I’m thinking that it is really the water that he dislikes, but I'm reluctant to give him juice. I’m planning to try the straws.

Quote Originally Posted by clb
    I am having the same issue with 8mo DC. I started giving him water in sippy cups at 6mo. He will wet his mouth but that is it. I’m thinking that it is really the water that he dislikes, but I'm reluctant to give him juice. I’m planning to try the straws.
    I've tried juice in there. Just to see if that would work. But nothing. I will try the straws next. I'm hoping that he likes them. I'll let you know.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went through several brands of sippy cups trying to find the right one. At first, I loved the Avent sippy cups, but eventually I got tired of all the small pieces that were a pain to wash and put back together. We tried the Take n Toss, Gerber Color Changers, and Playtex Coolsters. DS chewed through all these spouts (and probably ingested a ton of plastic). We ended up going back to the Avent cups because he could not chew through them.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast