Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena
    We went through several brands of sippy cups trying to find the right one. At first, I loved the Avent sippy cups, but eventually I got tired of all the small pieces that were a pain to wash and put back together. We tried the Take n Toss, Gerber Color Changers, and Playtex Coolsters. DS chewed through all these spouts (and probably ingested a ton of plastic). We ended up going back to the Avent cups because he could not chew through them.
    My Avent ones leak all over the place. I loved them with the first DC. I don't like them anymore. Do yours leak?

I have a dozen Avents (white, green, and the sporty clear and yellow), and it does take a little extra work, but they don't leak if I'm careful (like, you have to check the seal and re-do it if it leaks when you give it a test-shake over the kitchen sink). For the most part I'm really happy with them. (been using them since 6 months...so for two years now...one of the valves did get worn out and leaked and I had to toss it).(Oh, we 'trained' her to use these by leaving the valves out...once she realized yummy stuff was in there, she was willing to suck a little to get it out )

I'm also a fan of straw cups....my poor kids get so confused trying to learn to drink from whatever cup I've handed them that day... oh well, I'm sure it's like an IQ building exercise, lol.

We have some tip free regular cups, too, and some that really don't require any sucking, though they are nowhere near leakproof, just help keep down the spilly mess....and she's allowed to use big kid cups like her older bro and sis, but only when she's sitting in her chair at the counter
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2
    I have a dozen Avents (white, green, and the sporty clear and yellow), and it does take a little extra work, but they don't leak if I'm careful (like, you have to check the seal and re-do it if it leaks when you give it a test-shake over the kitchen sink). For the most part I'm really happy with them. (been using them since 6 months...so for two years now...one of the valves did get worn out and leaked and I had to toss it).(Oh, we 'trained' her to use these by leaving the valves out...once she realized yummy stuff was in there, she was willing to suck a little to get it out )

I agree with this. There is a certain knack to assembling the cup so it doesn't leak. I never had any real problems with leaking, a couple of minor incidents, but that's it.

I don't use them anymore. Thankfully we are past the sippy stage and into the straw cup stage (and now entering a sports cap stage).
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS2 doesn't like to use sippy cups. He'd prefer a small glass like the ones his brother and sister and my DH and I use. He will drink out of them, but it's usually just novelty for him. He does OK with a SIGG bottle, which doesn't have a valve, but that's because we all use them.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

our little one went straight to a straw cup as well however for a different reason. after drinking from a traditional sippy, gas pains for hours. doctor recommended a straw cup, we haven't had the problem since. we LOVE the take and toss straw sippers. they are tricky to find but great.

I'll add a caveat here, DS does drink from several different types of sippies, but he can also drink from a regular (adult) sports bottle. I found that out when he made a grab for mine one day. Also, he drinks from regular cups - with help. We're working on the "with help" part and hoping to have him doing it somewhat on his own by the 1 yr mark or so. I think KK has a sports cap option, we don't have one because he's so used to the Avent spout that it came with, but we'll probably get some soon. We don't have any straw cups because we were focussing on the sippies, and I'm not sure that I've seen all that many in stores up here.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

How old do they have to be to use the straw cups? I looked up the Take and Toss and it says 24 months. My son is 7 months and will also not take a sippy cup, just chews on it instead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2