Default allergic to carrots?

Has anyone ever heard of an allergy/sensitivity to carrots? DD is 8 months old and we're working through the solid foods list. (She was 6 weeks preemie, so we're starting slow.) She was fussy and constipated for the three days we tried carrots. Back to normal as soon as we moved on to other foods.

She has milk protien and soy allergy. DH has egg allergy, so we're waiting to try that later.

Could be. Does she have rxns to other veggies with beta carotene, like sweet potatoes?
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default DH is allergic to carrots

ALthough, he is allergic to RAW carrots (and some other RAW fruits and veggies).

He has what is called Oral ALlergy syndrome. Cooked carrots are fine though.

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD had horrific reactions to carrots in a jar but not to fresh steamed carrots. The ped said it was common and was the result of something added during the manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by deenass
    I was just going to post this. A friend of mine has this and she is also allergic to apples and maybe tomatoes.

Thanks for the info. DD doesn't seem to have a problem with sweet potatoes, but we'll have to watch when she eats them again. I have been making baby food at home, but using store-bought for some of the first tasting, so I don't have to throw away a whole batch of something if she can't have it. The ingredients have all been the actual food and water, but I know that there's probably something else in there too through the manufacturing process. I'll have to try making a small batch of carrots at home and see if there's any difference.

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by deenass
    ALthough, he is allergic to RAW carrots (and some other RAW fruits and veggies).

I am allergic to raw carrots as well -- no problems ever with cooked carrots. I'd say it's a fairly mild allergy...usually involves itching of my tongue and throat and sometimes I'll get a small bump on my lip. I obviously try to avoid raw carrots, but when I was pregnant I had a salad that contained a small amount of shaved carrots (even though I had requested none) and I had some difficulty breathing in addition to the itchy throat -- it was kind of scary, but not to the point that I needed to go to the hospital. I just took Benadryl after contacting my doctor and was fine.

I want to also mention that I sometimes also have a mild reaction to SOME fruits (apples, cantaloupe and bananas come to mind). It's never been serious enough to keep me from eating any of these...except cantaloupe which tends to be worse in terms of itching. I know it sounds odd because sometimes I can eat these fruits and have NO reaction at all, but other times I have an itchy, tight feeling in my throat, tongue and lips. I've been told that I might be allergic to a particular flower that a bee visits prior to pollenating the fruit. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it could explain why it is only SOME apples, bananas, and cantaloupe.

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillaryb
    Thanks for the info. DD doesn't seem to have a problem with sweet potatoes, but we'll have to watch when she eats them again. I have been making baby food at home, but using store-bought for some of the first tasting, so I don't have to throw away a whole batch of something if she can't have it. The ingredients have all been the actual food and water, but I know that there's probably something else in there too through the manufacturing process. I'll have to try making a small batch of carrots at home and see if there's any difference.
    If she reacts to the jarred, but not fresh, it's possible it's cross contamination with manufacturing. If it's Earth's Best, they're notorious for xcont issues. DD had issues w/ them. Good luck!
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Found this online. Might explain some things. Will have to talk to Dr about allergy testing in the future. Rather know now then later, and get the skin prick test over when DD can't remember it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome