Default 1st Birthday party Pot Luck Picnic

So my DD is turnign 1 in July. I would like to have an outdoor party for close friends and family in a park. The park I have chosen is only accessible by ferry. I would like to have about 30 adults ( 10 of which have children around the same age). I would like to have a Baby Einsten theme where the kids will have 4 "play stations" (reading station, blocks station, bubbles and balls station, and music station). The kids would be able to visit the stations as the wish. I will provide all the activites for the kids. The island also has other family friendly activities (such as bike rentals and tours) that the guests can partake if they wish. I do not want to overwhelm my DD, thus the picnic style open format. I want her to see this more as an extended playdate than a "party". I have a couple dilemmas.

1) Since it is not practical for me to bring food to serve all these people, I wanted to make it a pot luck so they can bring their favorite picnic dish. Also there are food vendors on the island if they are still hungry. We would provide cake and beverage.

2) Since I am asking them to bring food, I don't want any gifts.

3) The guests will have to take a ferry (free) to get to the island and ferry runs every hour. Is 11:30am on a Saturday too early to ask guests to meet at ferry station? Party will be 12pm-3pm (with guests having option to stay and enjoy island at their leisure).

What are people's thoughts about the pot luck idea. I am still weighing in. Thanks for any advice.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

you might try posting in the "lounge," it gets a lot more traffic than this forum.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There was a huge thread on this about 2 - 3 weeks ago...the general consensus was if you are hosting most felt it was inappropriate to ask them to bring food (even though you can specify no gift that still doesn't get around the potluck issue)....as well...are you sure everyone is up to the ferry ride etc...so many folks like an easy party and if it's too much work many will not show....although it sounds like a fun place, personally if our family were going to that type of island we'd want to do it on our time...the other issue...and this again was covered in a recent thread....the time of party...most toddlers nap right after lunch and so many parents commented that they wished parties were earlier like 10am or after nap time...just a few things to consider...and yes post this in the lounge!