janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default How many bottles if BF?

I plan on BF, but this is # 1, so no idea what to expect. I do know I'll be returing to work at 3 mo's, so there will be bottle feeding at some point.

How many bottles do I need in preparation? I know I should have a range since you never know what the baby will take to, but what's a good amount to cover all bases without going overboard.

Right now I've registered for Playtex Drop in Nurser Kit (several bottles and nipples), one Born Free 4oz and one Dr. Brown 8oz. Is this too many/too little?

Thanks!

I definately wouldn't buy too many gift sets just in case your baby dislikes the nipple- you won't be stuck with a bunch of bottles you cannot use.

I love Playtex Naturalatch nipples- used it with both my bf babies. Some BF babies like the Avent nipple (opt for the magic cups, Tempo or Via system to avoid BPA) but mine hated it. I have read that wide neck bottles more closely mimic how a baby latches on to the breast so you may want to stick with that. If you have bottles with your breast pump, you may want to register for the Evenflo Comfort Select nipple as it apparantly turns and standard (narrow neck) bottle into a wide neck bottle. So you can use the same bottles you pump into to feed baby.

Once baby decided on the Playtex nipple, I never had any more than 6-9 bottles since DD and DS are only given bottles at day care.

HTH!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I also wouldn't buy too many 4 oz, b/c DC might be onto 8 oz shortly after you return to work. You could even buy 8 oz and just fill them half full to begin with (more room for mixing).
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard