Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3 Carseats in Car - Need a 3rd Row?

We're going to need to have 2 infant seats + a convertible carseat. I would like to not have to buy a new car, but my current car doesn't have a 3rd row (it is an SUV though). Did anyone do it? I did a trial installation and it seems like the 3 seats fit, but it's VERY TIGHT. If I need a new car, I have to get it in the next 2 months or so, so please let me know what your experience has been. (BTW, I realize that when the twins move to a convertible seat and I have 3 Britax seats, I will not be able to fit them all in a row so I will have to get a minivan or something at some point in the next year, but we're trying to put it off until DH's lease is up next spring if poss.)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hmm, if you had the "right" convertible seats, it might actually be easier with convertibles than infant seats with bases. The Radian is really narrow and "puzzles" well with some other seats b/c it sits low and most other seats are higher.

What car do you have and what seats? What ages of children? Is your oldest FFg or RFg? I'm thinking 2 RFg Radians and a FFg Radian might work fine -- especially if you are able to fit 2 infants seats and a Britax convertible in there now. Tight is OK as long as each installation is secure.

ETA: Sorry, I keep seeing carseat posts under "new posts" and reply to them, thinking they are in carseats -- if you post over in Carseats, you'll get more replies than here. HTH
    Last edited by bubbaray; 06-21-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    Hmm, if you had the "right" convertible seats, it might actually be easier with convertibles than infant seats with bases. The Radian is really narrow and "puzzles" well with some other seats b/c it sits low and most other seats are higher.

What car do you have and what seats? What ages of children? Is your oldest FFg or RFg? I'm thinking 2 RFg Radians and a FFg Radian might work fine -- especially if you are able to fit 2 infants seats and a Britax convertible in there now. Tight is OK as long as each installation is secure.

ETA: Sorry, I keep seeing carseat posts under "new posts" and reply to them, thinking they are in carseats -- if you post over in Carseats, you'll get more replies than here. HTH
    no twins here, but wanted to add i can easily fit 3 radians across the back seat of my 4runner. (its an SUV with no 3rd row). new seats would be much cheaper than a new car the radian has very short straps, so you can use it from birth with a term baby. not sure how big your twins will be, but you might even be able to just keep them in the buckets for now (tight isn't bad as long as each seat is solid) and then get 2 radians for later. they should fit RF on either side of the britax, if not...just get a third radian. HTH!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

No twins and no SUV, but I have 3 seats in my Malibu. I have a RF Britax BV, a FF Radian, and a Chicco KeyFit30. I can also fit a FF BV or another FF Radian in place of the Chicco.

For me, it was a matter of spending an hour at BRU trying out various combinations until I found what worked. Because of the 60/40 split of the back seat, I can only get them in in particular positions, but it does work.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

2 MA's and one Radian fit in my CR-V joy, joy!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is my same dilemma. We have a rearfacing BV and will have two safeseats. They technically fit, but I don't know how we will do the buckle. I suspect we will be buying a minivan next year also.

Thanks for all the tips. I would like to avoid buyign a new car (who wouldn't!?), but am concerned that even if I can fit all the seats in safely, maybe I don't want my 2 yr old able to poke the eyes of the twins!!!! However, I would really like to fit 3 seats in at least for a few months....

As far as the Radian goes, I have never heard of that seat before. Is it just as safe, etc. as the Britax?

Default Radian 80 by Sunshine Kids

Take a look at the Radian 80 by Sunshine Kids. It is extremely safe, has very high ratings, and easily fits 3 in a row. The only comparable seat is a Britax Regent, but there is no way of fitting 3 in a row - they are just too bulky. The Radian 80 is also easy to transport (although heavy, but that it is because it is made with a steel alloy frame, unlike plastic frames that most are made of). You will not be disappointed.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The Radian is very nice. Comfy. Lasts harnessed to 65lbs. It can be more difficult to install than a Britax, but after some practice, it's not terrible.

The Radian 80 isn't necessarily worth the money, since the straps don't go any higher than the Radian 65. Most kids will outgrow it by height well before 80 lbs.

You can order from Target and return for free to a store.

You might be surprised at what you can fit. I can't do 3 Radians FFing, but can do 2 Radians and a Boulevard. I can get a FF Radian and a RF Boulevard and a Chicco Keyfit in, but only with the Keyfit behind the driver. It's odd, but things just puzzle together in different ways.

Seats can be tight together, so long as they aren't using one another to make themselves secure. To check, install the middle seat and then the 2 outboards. Then, remove the middle seat. If the ones outboard are still in tightly, you're fine.
    Kris

a FF Radian and 2 Snugrides w/ bases fit three across in the new CRV (tried it at the dealer.) Also, a RF Roundabout + RF Safety 1st Uptown fit side by side in our 2002 Accord. I think we could fit the FF Radian in the outboard too (just haven't tried it.)

We had trouble fitting the 2 infant seats with even the Radian in our Accord or 98 Volvo. If we hadn't gotten the Odyssey, we would have done: infant seat + base, FF Radian, infant seat w/o base.

Keep trying! You will find something that works
    Sarah

DD1 5/05 Evenflo HBB
    DD2 4/07 FF Britax Roundabout
    DD3 4/07 FF Safety 1st Uptown
    DD4 6/10 RF Britax RA50

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast