Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default teething on crib rails

Just a quick question...DS LOVES to teethe on the side of his crib and I have only recently noticed since he now has teeth both top and bottom that he's ingesting paint - ack! (I shudder to think that this has probably been going on for a week or two and I've only just noticed it! In my defense, DH has been parent-in-charge for the last little while and he's a little more *lax* on these things)

I was ready to rush out and get the Prince Lionheart crib rail teether (which is advertised as pthalate-free) when I read a review on BRU Canada stating that the customer's baby just brought the multi-part plastic rail into the crib with her and chewed it there. I also located the Kid Kushion Gummi Crib Rail online, but again, same problem. No info. on the pthalate or other toxicity of that item, but something I'd be concerned about.

Doing a search here brought up the idea of wrapping fabric around the top of the rail instead. I'm thinking I could put the Prince Lionheart one on with double-sided tape, but maybe fabric is the way to go. Should I just bypass the plastic and wasted money and do the fabric thing? Any BTDT advice or experience? We also have a crib tent ready to go for when he attempts to vault over the side, but I'm waiting until it's absolutely necessary because it's just one more step for my overloaded brain.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We use the Crib Shield full mesh things on the crib (not the bumper, the one that goes the full height of the crib) and neither girls has chewed on the crib. You might try that.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Thanks - I'll check that out. It sounds like a better alternative.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Default fabic crib rail covers are great

I can't say enough about the fabric crib rail covers we bought. They are washable, padded, and attach over the rails with velcro, fitting over the odd shaped and oversized crib rails wonderfully. I would use them even with standard rails -- could not bring myself to use plastics, phthalate-free or not.

We were particularly glad to have fabric covers the other day. Our baby bumped his mouth in the crib and the blood spot on the teething rail alerted us to his injury. It is soft enough for him to teethe on it, even with a split on the inside of his lip.

Check other posts about where to buy them. It might be good to shop around, as suggested. I bought them from a site for teething products -- I can't remember the site right now but there is a cautionary review on the forum because of order fulfilment and shipping issues. I didn't see another place to buy them. Too tired to make them myself!

One tip for readers: order the crib rail protectors a little bigger than you think you need. We were careful in our measurements but the protectors don't lie flat -- they gather a tiny bit at each velcro attachment and that can leave you short on the ends.

Order them as soon as you notice your baby sitting up so you will have them when she/he pulls up. As noted, the shipping can be delayed or the product can be back ordered. It is a small company.

The last time someone posted about this I recommended teething-teeth.com. When I ordered from there a year ago, I had no problems, but I guess the company is having issues now. For what it's worth, we love our crib teething rail cover we got there, but at that time shipping was fast and we got the correct product the first time.

My only advice is to look at the info on their web site and see if you can find a similar product elsewhere. http://www.teething-teeth.com/shopsite_page0.html

The Leacho easy teethers they sell on Amazon and other places usually only come in one size, and that size only fits a "standard" size crib, not convertibles. So, if you have a crib with a wider rail, you'll need to find somewhere that sells these custom sizes. If you look at the feedback on Amazon, all the negatives are because it didn't fit the crib.

Good luck!
    Kate

DS March 07; DD Jan 09

Eve is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

It's also easy to make your own. i haven't had my baby yet, but my friend had the same problem so i thought since i was making other stuff for the room I would be proactive and make my own Crib rail guards. they were really easy to make since it's all just a big rectangle. then you can make it match your room. I'm really not that great or experienced a semstress and I made them without a pattern. Just make sure to measure everything, including where the crib rails are, carefully.

I'm so glad you posted this because I'm having the same issues with my DD. She's 10 months old and she's been teething and gnawiing on her crib. I did try the Prince Lionheart and unfortunately it did not fit her crib. She has a converitble crib and it only works for standard size cribs. I'm on the search for the fabric cover for the railing.

The Leachco convertible crib rail teether is also available thru BRU (online only though). I think it was $19.99 there.
    -----------------------
    Karen

We had the same problem with DS1. We couldn't find anything to fit his crib and so far he is fine. We did find someone who later suggested using duck tape.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer
    I can't say enough about the fabric crib rail covers we bought. They are washable, padded, and attach over the rails with velcro, fitting over the odd shaped and oversized crib rails wonderfully. I would use them even with standard rails -- could not bring myself to use plastics, phthalate-free or not.

We were particularly glad to have fabric covers the other day. Our baby bumped his mouth in the crib and the blood spot on the teething rail alerted us to his injury. It is soft enough for him to teethe on it, even with a split on the inside of his lip.

Check other posts about where to buy them. It might be good to shop around, as suggested. I bought them from a site for teething products -- I can't remember the site right now but there is a cautionary review on the forum because of order fulfilment and shipping issues.
    Hi First Timer,

Thanks for taking the time to recommend teething-teeth "dot" com. We do make the convertible crib rail covers for all crib sizes and we can make sure that they are shipped in a timely fashion to your home or busines... usually within 2 - 3 business days.

I just want to take a moment to address the shipping delays that some of our customers have experienced in the past... A few months ago our family and our busenss was shaken... we almost almost lost our young daughter to Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes and this put all of our orders on a delay... we are still dealing with some issues with regard to her care but the load is getting some what easier... We now have a manufacturer who has mass produced our product to pick up the slack and now we are back on better footing...

I want to share this so that you can have some understanding as to what caused some of our customers to get delayed in their order fulfillement while we cared for our family.

Anyway... just want you to know that if you have any need for a convertible crib rail cover we will make sure that your product is shipped to you with all due dilligence... If you have any questions or concerns please visit our site and you can give us a call or shoot us an email...

Here 2 Serve U

Sandra
    Last edited by missym; 11-19-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast