Default OT Thomasville furniture and ? about 'formal' in a casual space

I went to a garage/moving sale this weekend and saw a Thomasville dining room table with 6 chairs and 2 leaves and the custom pads. It's in like-new condition, although the set is about 15-20 years old. It's cherry wood in a Queen Anne style and would go with my antique china hutch/buffet. I told the owner I was very interested, but couldn't afford her asking price and wanted to talk it over with my DH. She offered to take my number and call me if she didn't sell it.

She called tonite and is willing to sell it for $650.00, which we could easily afford. What's Thomasville furniture like quality-wise and does that seem a reasonable price?

My other (and bigger) concern is that this table is very formal and we don't have a formal dining room (We have a large kitchen with a center island and open to that is the dining area) Right now the hutch is more of a conversation piece (we have various antique pieces throughout the house), but paired with the table and chairs it would suddenly look very formal. Would something that formal look silly in an open, casual kitchen? (Not to mention how it will look next to that fisher-price aquarium highchair...)

For what it's worth, we will be in this house for a few more years, but not forever. DH got a new job last year and we will have to relocate at some point to cut down on his commute. Oh, and right now we are using a vintage 1960's table and chair set that had been sitting in my parents basement for years.

I told her I would need a day or 2 and would call her back.

TIA
    Kerri

I guess after all these years of being a Packers fan, I've also got to start cheering for the "Niners"...
    DD 11/09/06
    DS 06/09/09

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I probably wouldn't get it. It sounds lovely--and like a good price. You couldn't buy 2 new wooden chairs for that! But I don't think it is really what your family needs. I would hunt for a more casual set--it seems that it would serve your lifestyle better.